08/23/2005 REPORTS: High Plains

Not much to speak of in terms of tornadoes anywhere yesterday, but Verne Carlson and myself had a blast yesterday hanging around Limon, Colorado. We witnessed several storms in several lines starting at about 4ish going through til about 8 in the evening. Winds in excess of 60mph and a brief stint with small hail was about the worst of the weather we saw, but the post-storm show was what made the day. Incredible lightning crawlers from the storm as it passed east of Limon lit up the sky for nearly 30 minutes. I was able to get some insane shots captured on video which pulled airtime both locally here in Denver as well The Weather Channel.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL CHASE LOG

050823f.jpg

050823q.jpg

050823m.jpg

I had to drive through all of that to get home from Grand Junction, Colorado. It wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for the fact that my non-chase vehicle sucks in the rain. It's a Mazda Miata. The lightning was awesome, we had on heck of a light show from about Hays, Kansas all the way to Tulsa, Oklahoma. I picked up a disposable camera to get some pics and will post them once they are developed.

Back