08/08/04 REPORTS: Midwest & Northern Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry J. Kosch

Now that the SWW boxes in NE/KS and ND/MN have been allowed to expire, it's time for the REPORTS thread to begin. Please file your first-hand chase or storm reports here. Thanks.

Looks like JHadorn in Beatrice has prime viewing seats for this line of storms from E-SE of Lincoln to Hastings NE.

Not really. I didn't see much, although as the storms were passing through Beatrice I did get to see lots of CU as the storms kept backbuilding and sending up new towers.

Oh, and the mammatus in the sky later in the afternoon was phenominal. Like from one end of the horizon to the other.

Other than that: Not a nader, wallcloud, or so much as a stone of hail.

It was nice to have a hunch pan out, though.

I didn't see anything major, either, just one wall cloud east of Tecumseh sometime in the late afternoon hours. No rotation to it. One decent meso looking north on Highway 50 while we were south of Tecumseh. Saw a lot of rain and wind. The structure of the storms were terribly unorganized but it was very enjoyable to see the clouds against the Nemaha Valley landscapes.

It was a very soothing day to chase - one where I didn't even bother with what warnings were where once I was on the road, I just wanted to see the atmosphere working. We didn't run into any of the hail reports in SE Nebraska.

Good Chase Reports

Just checked out Mike Deason's photos from his chase. Even though he didn't get any torns or wall clouds, it was a photogenic chase as he got some great cloud pictures. I really appreciate the mammatus shots because I was able to see those formations up in Lincoln NE. And because of the distance I couldnt get any good picture shots.

James McCormick was lucky he didn't run into those hail areas in SE Nebraska. There was one hail report of 1.75 inch south of Cook NE in Johnson County.

Forntunately (for us in NE) most of the wind damage from that group of storms occurred in KS. And I did get some nice shots of the storm clouds building up in the afternoon and a couple of great sunset shots.

All in all, a nice relaxing day to chase for some chasers!

Well, I ventured out north of Manhattan. Nothing terribly exciting. Lots of wind, which I managed to stay ahead of for about an hour until I got back to the home county. We did have some 70mph winds that snapped some power poles and such, but I stayed out of that madness. The outflow was awesome (I know we don't say that very often) because it would be all hot and humid and then it was like the AC came on, 20-25 degrees drops in temperature.

All in all, just a good excuse to get out of the house. :wink:

One of the interesting things about yesterday was that I didn't even see hail despite the reports around the area I was at. We were able to stay out of the precipitation for the most part (a few sprinkles near Syracuse, but that is inevitable, and harder rain near Beatrice late in the afternoon) as the cores were very visible and easy to navigate around given the road network. The report near Cook was a good 10 miles north of where we were for the most part - we were on H136 or H62 most of the afternoon.

And it was a beautiful sunset, wasn't it!

One of the interesting things about yesterday was that I didn't even see hail despite the reports around the area I was at. We were able to stay out of the precipitation for the most part (a few sprinkles near Syracuse, but that is inevitable, and harder rain near Beatrice late in the afternoon) as the cores were very visible and easy to navigate around given the road network. The report near Cook was a good 10 miles north of where we were for the most part - we were on H136 or H62 most of the afternoon.

And it was a beautiful sunset, wasn't it!

With the crazy haze? It was neat. I was more impressed with the mammatus.

I was also wondering where all that hail was. I kept hearing on the NOAA weather radio that hail upwards of 3/4 of an inch had been reported and I'm all like, "WTF mate?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back