07/04/2006 REPORTS: CO / NE / KS

COMPLETE JULY 4, 2006 STORM CHASE LOG CAN BE FOUND HERE!

I wouldn't have started this thread if it weren't for two reported tornadoes east of Denver. My hopes are someone was a bit more prepared to get out of town as I was busy playing in more flooding storms on the west side. With that, here's my report..

Several firsts for today's spotting venture; my first Independence Day chase and my first three-in-a-row flood chases in the Denver area. Up until about 7:00pm this evening, I had nailed my forecast. My thoughts were Denver was going to be between two areas of storms; one up near Cheyenne, WY and the other in Colorado Springs. Storms fired in both locations, but the Cheyenne storms moved southward into Eastern Colorado and laid out a boundry which flushed against the foothills and aided in late evening storm development. I watched the storms near Boulder on radar til a blip showed up over Northwestern Arvada when my lady and I headed out to I-70 and north to the Wadsworth (at I-70) exit where I headed back south and then east on 38th to get back to Kipling. While on the phone with Jon Van de Grift, a lightning strike tagged a transformer less than 10 yards from the van. The bolt, which I saw between several trees, fried the top of the pole sending a shower of orange and blue sparks onto the road right in front of the van. Both my girlfriend and I felt the tingling in our hands for several minutes afterwards as I'm sure Jon had his ears ringing after hearing me shout. Unfortunately, there were no cameras running at the time. After the bolt, we returned to Kipling about 3 blocks south of I-70 and filmed some street flooding as nearly a foot of standing water covered Kipling. We skirted around Wheat Ridge to check for other areas before returning to the flood to shoot it as it subsided. We toasted our close encounter with some hot wings before returning home.

060704a.jpg

060704j.jpg

Fun chase of natures fireworks today. I was on severe storms for several hours in SW NE down into NW KS . Storms were a bit hard to keep up with early in the day as shown in this pic :lol:

July4.jpg

I was in Imperial , NE when winds of 69 mph were recorded . No pics of this since visibility was at or near zero with heavy rain at the time.

The storm no longer moving at 255 mph :rolleyes: continued S and got its act together again N of Benkelman, NE. There was very impressive motion in the clouds shown in next 2 pics for about 5 min until the outflow pushed S again killing off my "area of interest"

July4_1.jpg

July4_2.jpg

Just N of Bird City , KS the outflow winds moving S at 50 - 60 mph collided into a newly developed cell . The following shots show what formed VERY quickly after this .

July4_8.jpg

July4_3.jpg

July4_4.jpg

July4_7.jpg

July4_6.jpg

July4_5.jpg

Dean Cosgrove
http://chasetours.comhttp://http://chasetours.com

Back