07/03/04 NOW: Canada

Larry J. Kosch

Opening a NOW thread for Canada after I got this P.M. from Jared:

I'll be on the road most of the day if you want to post this:

Looks like a better set-up today around Saskatoon with lots of moisture and heat. Wind shear isn't great but at least the cells are gonna be popping up very close to home today for a short chase. I will be in my car most of the day so radar updates would be much appreciated.

Funnel clouds are being mentioned by PSPC today and most of the action should be in south-central Sask today. Regina and Yorkton both have \"severe\" attached to their 11am forecast today. This is most likely due to the system moving very slowly and flash flooding may be possible again.

Jared

Put your storm discussions for Canada here. 8)

Update: Canadian radar is showing a nice cluster of storms in the Bradon and Killamey areas WSW of Winnipeg. They are moving to the east slowly. 8)

That was actually yesterday, but today is even better! Funnel cloud watch issued for Manitoba and a MAJOR system is brewing around edmonton that is dumping rain there and is almost stationary. Warnings just got posted for parts south of there now...

Lots of watches/warnings across the prairies right now and cells are growing slowly. I'm taking today off to catch up and prepare for Sunday. Cypress Hills seem to have the best looking cells right now in the extreme SW corner of Saskatchewan.

Jared

Tornado watches have ended for Manitoba but cells in SW Sask are really building. Slowly moving my way, it looks like I may have to keep an eye on this.

"A stationary thunderstorm just to the northeast of the Cypress Hills has produced quarter size hail and 50 mm of rain. There is
little movement with this storm and a further 50 mm of rain is
expected early this evening."

I've got to go to work now but I will be keeping close to my phone if someone wants to give me an update on this stuff:

Text messages/e-mail: [email protected]

Jared

Upon further analysis, looking at the radar loop, it looks like a right turning storm with incredible inflow north of Medicine Hat, AB. I don't even know where this stuff is headed anymore except east-northeast, east-southeast??? Towards Swift Current, maybe...

Right Turning Storm

Jared,

You were correct in saying that storm near Medicine Hat, AB did take a "right turn". But on the Canadian radar there's another intense storm SE of Maple Creek that took a right turn also. And it's heading for Val Marie even though the cloud tops are shooting off towards Swift Current.

Thanks for keeping us proud citizens of USA informed! 8)

TORN Warning for ND

This TORN warning is closer to the NOW action in Canada than the NOW action in Central Plains storms.
So I'm putting it here:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EASTERN ND/GRAND FORKS
502 PM CDT SAT JUL 3 2004

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND FORKS HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WARNING FOR NORTHEASTERN
CAVALIER COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NORTH DAKOTA UNTIL 545 PM CDT.

AT 457 PM...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH STRONG ROTATION OVER MAIDA...OR ABOUT 17 MILES NORTH OF LANGDON
..MOVING TO THE EAST AT 40 MPH.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR VANG AT 515 PM.

Half a FOOT of rain! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just stopped in to check radar and found this:

"An intense thunder that dropped between 50 and 150 mm of rain
Over the Schuler area is moving into western Saskatchewan.
50 to 100 mm of rain is expected at Golden Prairie over the next
couple of hours."

Yikes!

Back