07/02/2006 REPORTS: CO

COMPLETE JULY 2, 2006 STORM CHASE LOG CAN BE FOUND HERE

The monsoonal season has moved into the Colorado area with a second day of heavy rain producing storms. These storms took on the Southeast Denver area on Sunday. Storms fired further east than I thought as I left my place in Lakewood shortly around 4:30 and headed south and east towards the Castle Rock area to get under some severe-warned/flash flood warned cells. Using my Sprint PCS phone for data, I had NWS radar updating constantly from the road. I elected to return to the Denver area where I met with Jon Van de Grift in Parker and he jumped in with me after a close lightning strike set my butt on fire. The bolt was so close, that I felt the electricity in my body as my left arm got real hot. The bolt hit a nearby structure less than 1000 feet away and sent me nearly diving head-first into my van. Once we left Parker, we headed into Southeast Denver where we observed some urban flooding along University Blvd. We stopped to film passing cars before darting onto E-470 to check out some nearby creeks. We hopped off on a mud road to check out a creek which had swallen up a bit, then reversed back through the mud while fishtailing all over the place to get back to pavement. After about 5 minutes of removing the thick mud from the bottom of our shoes, we headed back to Parker where I dropped Jon off and headed home.

060702f.jpg

060702a.jpg

060702j.jpg

Back