06/27/06 DISC: MI

Did anybody chase the storms in southeast Michigan.

Reading the Local Storm Reports
0345 PM TORNADO MONROE 41.92N 83.39W
06/27/2006 MONROE MI LAW ENFORCEMENT

0348 PM TORNADO 5 SSE SOUTH ROCKWOOD 42.00N 83.22W
06/27/2006 MONROE MI TRAINED SPOTTER

0345 PM WATER SPOUT 1 E ESTRAL BEACH 41.99N 83.22W
06/27/2006 LEZ444 MI TRAINED SPOTTER

Hail up to 1.75 inches and winds estimated at 65 mph also reported

Mike

Yeah, I found that interesting... I was at work and heard someone say 'tornado warning' on their phone, so I took a quick look at the computer again and saw the law enforcement report. There were a few different severe convective cells that moved through Detroit Metro today... For that matter, there were two SVR-warned storms in my county alone (both of which were verified by penny-sized and nickel-sized hail reports -- both south and just northeast of where I was at the time LMAO) along with a brief supercell structure that propogated south of I-94 near Ann Arbor, which produced the golfball-sized hail report. The environment was undoubtedly supportive of large hail today, with relatively-low wet-bulb zero levels (~9000ft AGL across much of the area) and strong CAPE (with >200j/kg of 0-3km low-level CAPE, per earlier RUC mesoanalysis) and cold 500mb temperatures (generally -13C across southeast MI) for this time of year. In addition, the strong 40-50kt 0-6km deep-layer shear (enhanced by the SW 40-50kt midlevel flow) induced rotation in a few of the boundary-layer rooted updrafts, which contributed to further intensification. I didn't get a real good look at the Monroe Co tornadic storm on radar, but it looked to be a small, low-topped storm that apparentley stretched near-ground vorticity that it had available (perhaps it interacted with a mesoscale outflow boundary from previous convection or some type of baroclinic sfc boundary that gave it a source of low-level vorticity to stretch and tilt vertically) with enhanced low-level accelerations provided by the substantial amounts of CAPE in the lowest 3-km.

The one storm that become SVR-warned in Macomb Co earlier didn't look at all impressive... Nonetheless, it still produced the nickel-sized hail report just south of me and still gave me 45-55mph winds in Clinton Twp (estimated -- just below severe levels) and had decently-high reflectivities on radar (i.e. 60-65dbz core).

I don't think hail was reported with the spout-producer, I'd imagine it working up the lake boundary was the reason some low-level spin was imparted. Nothing at all indicated on radar...

I agree with Rob with the lake breeze causing todays spinups in Monroe county. Just prior to that tiny low topped storm reaching northeast Monroe county on radar there was a lake breeze boundary just coming off of the lake and my personal guess is as Rob said. It created the small wind shift that caused the cell to have a brief spinup or two. Needless to say I was quite surprised when my mom came downstairs and said tornado warning Monroe county haha...

I'm surprised there wasn't more tornado reports, not that yesterday was going to produce more, but that there wasn't any scud-nados reported.
I did a brief "chase", more like drive outside the city limits and watch the storm while listening the the Tigers, yesterday south of Bad Axe around 9.30pm to watch the mess slowly moving NE. Lots of CG lightning and blinding rain, but also there was a nice shelf cloud which at times would have a base that was nearly tree top level. It was very low and while watching it, i said to myself "well, here comes a tornado warning" Soon, the shelf fell apart, lightning started to wane, and the tigers won and i went home.

Back