06/15/09 DISC: NE/KS

First off, congrats to Mike H and any others who bagged the TOR near Hastings NE Monday evening!

I was on shift at the WFO and we observed the low-hanging wall cloud from the office, about 15 miles to the SW. Soon, the storm shifted too far south and we lost sight of it in the rain before the TOR formed. The TOR actually dropped about 12 miles WSW of the office, marking the closest call Hastings has had with a legitimate TOR since probably 5/22/04. Preliminary reports indicate only center pivots were damaged, but this thing "looked" pretty strong based on photos.

As of 300 AM this morning, the only photos I have come across are via the KHAS-TV website, but I'm sure there are/will be others.

http://new.khastv.com/modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=1889&fullsize=1

http://new.khastv.com/modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=1906&fullsize=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job by the Hastings office (kind of miss the place myself)! Kudo's to Walker for his successful chase. Seeing his pics near Roseland reminded me of his young "protege" :)

Rather than start a new 15th thread for KS maybe a MOD can add KS to the topic.

After fueling yesterday in Florence I was playing catch up with the Cell and before I pushed into it I shot a couple of quick shots while tooling around trying to get my radar updated and having noticed something of interest (Note right side):

Cropped:

Sometimes I think we miss things when we get in a hurry!

Opinions?

Saw the very same feature way off in the distance Jim....was in right place and right time to be a bonafide funnel at very least. Then nearly had tornadogenesis right on top of me south of Cottonwood Falls (Chase Co.). I think it ingested too much rain messed up air to drop a tornado but it was a close call.

Saw the very same feature way off in the distance Jim....was in right place and right time to be a bonafide funnel at very least. Then nearly had tornadogenesis right on top of me south of Cottonwood Falls (Chase Co.). I think it ingested too much rain messed up air to drop a tornado but it was a close call.

Considering that I shot that wide at 18mm it was pretty close to me so considering the distance down it would have been close to the ground but no way to know unless one of the others chasing that got on the South side of the river and could verify.

And Yes the ICT office contacted me about the use of those pics. :)

Back