06/07/07 REPORTS: TX / OK / KS / MO / IA / IL / WI

Here are a few pic's from the Bartlesville, Ok. area.

Video grab SSE of Bartlesville
06072007bville10.jpg

_MG_6519.jpg

_MG_6520.jpg

Not the evening that was expected but it was enjoyable

YouTube clip (power flashes at the begining in lower left, hard to see with youtube though )

We caught up to the southern OK storm after 11 that night. It was not a super impressive storm but it was still fun none the less. Surface winds were non-exsistant with this storm. It had some of the most incredible CG's I had ever seen though.

june7_1.jpg

june7_2.jpg

june7_3.jpg

We (Ben Zimmerman) and I went out from Madison around 2:30PM with a target of Dubuque....

By the time we crossed the Mississippi there were 3 storms active in the area... two that were heading into Wisconsin south of Prarie Du Chein and one that was TOR warned to our south. We goofed around with the middle one for a while because the updrafts were looking strong..... after it starting losing steam to the storm to the south we decided to trek south.

Observed 3 or 4 nice bases in the Zwingle/Otter Creek/Maquoketa region, but nothing really had any significant rotation. (see attached photo)

Followed the updraft towards the Mississippi River and eventually decided to leave the storm and cross the river so we could get into position to pick it up in Jo Davies Co, IL when it crossed. Decided in future cases we need a hovercraft to deal with the freakin MS river..... since it took us about 50 minutes to get back to the updraft area. Nothing really notable until the storm got into the Freeport, IL/Beloit, WI area where we observed another discrete base......

Then the sun set.

Attachments

• IOWA67.jpg
    IOWA67.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 54
Busted in EC Kansas near Iola. We left Mitchell, SD early for SE KS and arrived late in the afternoon as a red box was issued. Met up with lots of guys and watched towers get destroyed by the cap. Some photogenic tcu during sunset.

bust2.jpg

Here's the Kansas crew. Wayne Sclesky, Mike Parker, Eric B'Hymer, Fred Plowman, Darin, Dick, Jordan and my dad.

bust1.jpg

The best tower of the day to our north, but couldn't break the cap.

Full Chase Log For June 7, 2007 Available

I finally revised and finalized my chase log for June 7, 2007 in Wisconsin and it is as follows...

The chase for June 7 basically followed the potent upper air / surface system eastward for quite a ways. (for my chase on June 6, please refer to the thread on it in post-storm discussion and reports for June 6).

Not much forecasting was required for this day, but SPC (Storm Prediction Center) had a frightening high-risk outlook for eastern Minnesota, much of Wisconsin, and extreme Northeastern Iowa and Northern Illinois. In this high-risk outlook, tornado probability was 30%, hail was 45%, and wind damage was a whopping 60%, all hatched for "significant" severe weather. Another interesting note was that the surface low was from 975 to 980 MB with a low-level jet stream in excess of 80 knots ahead of the dryline.

This meant for lots of shear, but very fast storm motions, making chasing difficult. The chase left Wagner, along with Tony Laubach (Amos and Eric did not chase this day), heading east on Highway 46 to Interstate 29, then north to Sioux Falls, SD to take Interstate 90 east across Minnesota.
Storms initiated east of Albert Lea, Minnesota at around 1:30 PM CDT just as PDS tornado watch 360 for a previous mesoscale discussion was issued for our target area. The storms began as a multicell cluster / line but soon evolved into discrete supercell storms. One supercell storm was noted developing on the NW side of this cluster just as the dryline was crossed.

The dryline passage was denoted by strong SW winds and dust to its west and a dewpoint jump from 42 degrees to 72 degrees across a distance of only 10-15 miles! The supercell storm to the north of Interstate 90 was highly sheared and a possible tornado was noted under it's base from a great distance. This was to be the northern supercell storm that caused significant damage later near Ried, Wisconsin around 4 PM, CDT. Continuing east on I-90 and headed across the squall line itself into Lacrosse, Wisconsin a few severe storms were noted.

While navigating along Highways 61 and 33 (where 33 was partially closed due to construction), a supercell storm developed near Lacross, Wisconsin and moved rapidly to the Northeast. We headed north on Highway 162 then east on Interstate 90 once behind the rapidly moving storm. The storm had an impressive RFD slot, a wall cloud / funnels, and already produced hail up to 3" near Lacross.

Attempting and trying as hard as we could to keep up with this supercell, we headed east to I-94, jogged northwest a bit, then took Highway 173 northeast towards the supercell's rear-flank. At roughly 4:30 PM CDT, the tornado reported near Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin was observed through heavily wooded terrain from a distance of roughly 10 miles. The supercell storm had a completely eroded RFD (rear flank downdraft) dry-slot making the tornado and wall cloud visible. The chase of this fast moving storm was forfeited upon arrival into Wisconsin Rapids, where trees and powerlines were down on County Road G southwest of town in Port Edwards. Once in Wisconsin Rapids, some of the largest hail I ever seen (or imagined) was encountered.

Tony and I measured hail over 4", even after partial melting, covering the ground in a residential area. Car damage was heavy and many leaves / branches were stripped off trees. The hail was also large enough to put holes in a roof and leave deep craters in the ground! Tornado-like damage also was reported on the southeastern side of Wisconsin Rapids. This was not a supercell storm you would like to get ahead of and have it's core pass over you - Hail officially measured at 4.25" (slightly larger than a grape-fruit and a bit smaller than a coconut) can kill.

After taking a break from the storms in Wisconsin Rapids and observing hail damage, we continued out on Highway 13 then Highway 73 to take Interstate 39 southward to check out more possible storms developing in NE Iowa and Northern Illinois. When in Illinois, and near Rochelle, a cluster of severe storms was encountered. While stopped to shoot lightning photography, one severe cell ahead of this line acquired supercell characteristics, and a funnel / possibly brief tornado was captured by time-exposure before getting hit with RFD precipitation and warranting a hasty retreat to continue back south on I-39. The chase was wrapped up and spent in Normal, Illinois for the night.

Pictures for June 7 are below...

m8tor6.jpg

Above - Developing tornado with Wisconsin Rapids in its "sights" ;-(

m8hail7.jpg

Above - Extreme hail on west side of Wisconsin Rapids.

m8crater.jpg

Above - Crater in ground from hail strike - This hail was fast and rock-hard!

m8ss1.jpg

Above - Supercell storm near Lacrosse, WI from behind dryline.

m8tor5.jpg

Above - Tony Laubach and I spotted this near Rochelle, IL just west of I-39 at 10:30 PM - Time exposure of 5 seconds.

Please refer to the link provided below for a full chase report for June 7, 2007 (and previous day of June 6)...

http://www.sky-chaser.com/mwcl2007.htm#JUNE5

May have caught a tornado

Finally got around to reviewing my video yesterday, and it looks like I MAY have caught a weak tornado on the first of the two supercells I observed near Carrollton, MO. Although I had thought all three of the dust clouds I saw were outflow-related, the video shows some rotation in the lowered clouds above the second dust thingie, which moved across the road ahead of me, and also there appears to be at least a brief funnel, right above the dust.

Youtube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZsgcwa2Z4E

Capture from video:

chase60707-storm1-v1.jpg

Full chase report, including more pics, video links, and a couple radar images, is now posted at:

http://www.johnefarley.com/chase60707.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Met up with Bob Hartig, Bill Osterban, Derek, and Andrew Khan, in Davenport, IA around 6am. From there we decided to head up to Rochester, MN. Stopped shortly in Waterloo. Talked to Craig Maire as he was still in Western IA. He notifyed me of a CU field. We then noticed cells popping east of Fort Dodge and that they would be headed straight for our target area of Rochester, MN. So we headed north some more and intercepted the storm it was only severe warned. As the base came into view it looked like a shelf and outflow dominant. We then headed through Cresco, IA and from there headed North into MN as our storm was Tornado warned. We saw no signs of rotation. Andrew and I decdied to break off and head back south as to not go through the core. I debated to head to La Crosse but the terrian was keeping me from doing so. We headed to Mabel, MN with La Crosse still an option. On the way we witness a wales mouth.

June7.jpg

We found some wifi in Mabel, MN and noticed the back building cells looked supercellular on Radar and were looking more isolated, so we headed to Spring Grove and witnessed and supercell become outflowish again with a CG barage with close strikes.

June7_.jpg

Since it looked outflow and the terrrain to our NE was hills and windy roads and trees we decided to try and intercept the storms to our south coming our direction SW of Waterloo and Iowa City (wish we had stayed and went to Lacrosse, WI)

Needless to say we hate the MS river. We crossed it in Lansing, IA. headed to Debuque, IA and intercepted another Storm which later became Torndo warned briefly. We were unable to catch this one. So we hit up another storm that was following behind this and it was severe warned and intesiftied after it crossed the MS and then quickly died and we observed this in Stockton, IL. We then headed south and intercpted another cell that had weak roation on the flanking line of the gust front. I took this picture wishing it had been a tornado touching down.

June7_1.jpg

We then head to Morrison for a quick break and a stretch. We observe a Supercell moving towards the Quad Cities and head to intercept.

June7_2.jpg

We intercept near Hillsdale, IL Exit 10 off of I-88. It showed some supercelluar characteristics. It had a wall cloud that was pronounced but the picture below shows this now getting undercut and destroyed.

June7_4.jpg

We then caught a few good CGs under a highway underpass. This storm became HP. It showed some nice striations but the storm quickly over took us and we had to call it a night. Wish we had gone all the way to Rochelle.

Heres the rest of the CG's.

June7_3.jpg

June7_5.jpg

June7_6.jpg

June7_7.jpg

Chad Lawson and I nailed the tor-warned cell north of TUL from the first cumulus cloud.....but once darkness set in and the show still hadn't begun, we called it off. I love chasing, but I love it because I love to shoot tornadoes on video....and chasing at night, you don't get crap for video. The Greensburg night was special because it was historically significant, but a run-of-the-mill late-season tornado day, no thanks. Had enough night chasing for one season....which is why we could only laugh out loud when the tornado warning came over the television as we sat down to eat our Mickey D's.

Of course the best part was having to answer all the questions once everyone in the place saw the warning, Chad's car outside, and put 2 & 2 together. "Are you guys storm chasers?" My reply as I motioned towards the TV: "Well, we're supposed to be, but it looks like we're sucking at it."

Comical close to my 2007 Spring season, barring a possible shot up north next weekend/Monday.

After a long day and night in central and eastern Nebraska my chase partner (Elton from Wisconsin) and I got a hotel in Fremont west of Omaha. A fellow chaser (Bryce from Kansas) called and informed me about SPC's high risk for the next day so needless to say we got a quick 6 hours of sleep and were on are way the next morning. By noon we were in Desmoines with tornado warnings to our south in Ringold, Marion and Appanoose Counties plus we were under a PDS tornado watch, thought today would be the day for Iowa! Should have known better! LOL :p For the next few hours Bryce and I hopped from storm to storm each looked outflow dominant and had very nice shelf clouds but that wasn't what we were looking for its a high risk day and we wanted tornados! LOL Finally later in the afternoon we left I-80 and went into southern Iowa County and encountered a pretty beastly looking storm, had supercell characteristics and I wasn't to surprised to hear that we were now under a tornado warning! (finally!) :D The storm looked great and did produce some wall clouds, tail clouds and a possible funnel cloud as it entered southern Johnson County but we soon lost it due to poor road options etc. We next traveled into Cedar County Iowa (after the Jones County storm seemed to die and the tornado warning for Jones expired). We were just getting ready to head west on Highway 30 into Illinois when I noticed that both Johnson and Cedar Counties were under a severe thunderstorm warning so we decided to camp out near the town of Clarence and watch the storm as it approached. We soon started to notice that it had some nice structure and my friend Bryce sent me a text message stating that it looked suspicious on radar. I called him and he said there looked to be a hook forming on it and then right on Q a tornado warning was issued for both Johnson and Cedar Counties, my adrenaline started pumping again and I thought the show would finally really begin, I was wrong! As the storm approached a possible tornado was reported by someone south of Tipton and this definitely got my attention! Soon a wall cloud was visible to out sout and west and looked great as it got close to us (saw a possible funnel cloud but it was a few miles away) was able to get some nice video/pics of the wall cloud and its beautiful tail cloud right as the storm decided to have a heart attack and die.LOL. All in all it could have been alot better but at least we did get to see plenty of shelf clouds, wall clouds etc. and didnt bust (storm chaser not tornado chaser :D ). Did hear there was a monster tornado in Wisconsin and we are probably very lucky that no storms like that formed here in eastern Iowa becuase it (the Wisconsin) tornado was on the ground for around 40 miles was a half mile wide and was rated an high-end EF3, with all the small towns and cities in eastern Iowa (not saying Wisconsin is desolate) there could have been some major problems:eek: . I should have known that if SPC issues a moderate or high risk in Iowa that it was going to be a tornado free day (at least for me :D ). Still wasn't a bad day and I have no regrets! Congrats to all of you up near Lacrosse who bagged those giant hail stones etc.! Anyone who knows me knows I like to have one HAIL of a good time and wish I could have been there to grab a few of those stones!:D

What the heck, might as well post. Read Kurt Hulst's post to where he broke off from Bill, Derek, and me and headed for Iowa; I'll continue from there.

We crossed over into Wisconsin at Winona, and from there, don't ask me the names of towns or roads or where the heck we were. Wisconsin is, ummm, an interesting place to chase, "interesting" being a pretty charitable word. What I can tell you is, the storms that fired up in Minnesota had coalesced into a rather unpromising-looking line, but once they crossed into Wisconsin they began to split into more discrete cells that went tornado-warned as they moved north. These kept backbuilding, with the tail-end Charlie typically going supercellular as it developed.

One of these southernmost storms in the line managed to separate and gain a really nice look to it--good V-notch, developing hook, and then it took a right turn, the hook became very pronounced, and SRV started showing some pretty sweet couplets. This looked to be the storm of the day for us, and it was right there to our south.

It was here that the DeLorme Street Atlas revealed a malicious sense of humor by failing to distinguish between reasonably navigable blacktop routes and sandy trails one could only laughingly refer to as "roads." We drove down winding roads, up hills and down hills. We skirted cranberry bogs. At one point, we found ourselves heading down a two-track through the backwoods that got progressively worse until we finally had to turn around. All this time the storm was cooking along at maybe 55 mph, and from the radar I figured it had to be putting down a tornado, which of course it was. We just couldn't get to the business area. We did experience a bit of brief, big hail, though we at least managed to avoid the hail core to our south. Those of you who were able to actually witness something of the tornado this storm put down in Wisconsin Rapids, congratulations.

Ultimately, we decided to let that storm go and try to intercept an isolated cell to the south that was developing nicely and making a beeline for Green Bay. Almost caught it, too--we got close enough to get a decent view of the storm from the northwest, and as we entered Green Bay I saw what looked like a funnel moving off over Lake Michigan.

This chase was just that--a chase, and in some pretty wild terrain. Wisconsin is beautiful for sightseeing, but except for the central farmlands, it's a chaser's jungle.

The chasing world had been all about Thursday's progs for several days prior. On Tuesday night, after a look at the models, I made my decision that I would chase the event - although I wasn't enthusiastic about the territory. The storms would be fast-movers, discouraging a Wisconsin chase in hilly terrain, which relegated me to chasing in Iowa - my least favorite state to chase in because of endless past busts.

Thursday morning, I made the decision to head out around 7:30a.m. and head toward southwestern Wisconsin. I drove north out of Canton on Route 78 for a couple hours and got a few miles north of Carrolton, IL (sp?) when I got a phone call from Scott Kampas. He and Andrew Pritchard were on their way back to Illinois from a Nebraska chase the previous day, and both intended to chase today's setup as well. Because I was without data, they gave me a heads up that the I-80 corridor in Iowa would go within the next couple of hours, and that East-Central Iowa may be a good place to be - especially with the improved terrain. They said that Mark Sefried and Darin Kaiser were leaving for that area soon, and that a tornado watch was likely to be issued soon as per the new MCD. I decided to drop a little south to make a v-line for Iowa at that time, shooting west on I-88 to the Quad Cities, where I could pick up I-80 and go as far west as necessary.

Scott and Andrew returned to Scott's house in Pekin for a little while (since they were close anyway) to grab some things and look in depth at data, and I told them that I would be in Iowa City until I felt like I needed to move. In Iowa City, I found a Steak N Shake, where I nooned, and a Holiday Inn, where I got data. I saw cells firing in South Central Iowa, approximately 60 miles south of I-80, right along I-35, which were quickly intensifying to tornado-warned status, but were already forming a line. I wasn't overly impressed yet, so I went west where I could see for myself, and giving myself the option to intercept quickly, should one storm become dominant.

One did. A tornado warning was issued for Marion County, two counties to my west, for an embedded supercell that had sustained itself for almost an hour and a half. I had high confidence that it would stay together, so I planned an intercept route that would take me between Montezuma and New Sharon, near the Poweshiek/Mahaska county line. Well, I killed it. The last SVS issued on the tornado warning stated that there were now two areas that could potentially produce -- one near Knoxville (the old, occluded, weaker meso) and the other near Melcher-Dallas (the newer, intensifying meso). The next warning, fifteen minutes later, was a severe thunderstorm warning for the same county. I about puked.

So, I began to head back towards Iowa City, in case something still decided to fire out in front of the line. About that time, I got a call on my phone from Scott Kampas, who let me know that he and Andrew Pritchard were about as far out of Iowa City on the other side, heading for the city as well. We planned to head a little north on I-380 towards Cedar Rapids, and communicate on the radio the rest of the day. We stopped at a BP to fill up and retrieve data, where we found that one of the cells on the line to our immediate west intensified suddenly. It almost immediately went tornado warned after forming a strong low-level couplet, and right away, Scott plotted an intercept route, which took us south of Iowa City by a few miles.

Driving south on 380, the storm looked fantastic. As we came toward the area of interest, we could see it sported a long, ragged wall cloud that looked nowhere close to producing, but did have a spectacular tail cloud stretching off to the north. The inflow into this meso was worth noting, and it seemed that, although the line had caught the cell, it may still have a chance to keep pulsing. We stopped and watched for awhile, but with the storm moving off to the northeast at nearly 60mph, we needed to move again soon. The meso kept messing with us and would weaken and become ragged and disorganized, only to wrap up again and look much better a few minutes later. We followed for a while, and even threaded the needle between two tornado-warned cells with wall clouds (a new one had formed to the original's southwest), until we lost the original cell due to traffic and small towns.

We dropped back to Cell #2, which, as we had noted earlier, had a lowering that resembled a wall cloud (none of us got a great look at it as we concentrated on driving and Cell #1). We followed it for a while, going through severe and tornado warned stages, and finally let it go after being in close proximity to the updraft...and having nothing interesting happen or seem imminent for the better part of a half hour.

Cell #3 was just getting going back near Iowa City, though, with a new tornado warning issued. We dropped south in a hurry to get to it, coming through the weak core to a sight of another rainy, outflow-ish wall cloud with yet another remarkable tail cloud. This one was less ragged than the original, and the contrast was by far the best of the day. Scott, Andrew, and I stopped in an all-Illinois chaser convergence, along with Mark Sefried, Darin Kaiser, Dan Dimitroff, and Joe Ciota. We viewed this wall cloud for a while, which briefly had an intensification of inflow and had a one or two minute window when it seemed there may be a slim hope of tornadogenesis. That was short-lived, though, and we still followed this cell for a while, with hopes of it reorganizing like Cell #1, but it never did. We continued following it until reaching Hwy 61, where we dropped south to DeWitt, and Scott, Andrew, Dan, Joe, and I enjoyed some solid pizza at Happy Joe's.

After, a cell fired southwest of the Quad Cities (on our way home) that quickly intensified. We hoped to get some lightning shots, so we stopped at a Panera Bread in Bettendorf to gauge where and when we'd need to be. The cell quickly intensified, though, and became severe, sporting a very well-defined base. Better light may have proven what I suspect -- this was the most potent updraft base of the day. We still had lightning on our mind, so we got to a good clearing about a mile off the river, where the storm overtook us with strong winds and, as other members of the caravan estimated, quarter sized hail. According to LSRs, a barn and shed were destroyed not far from where we watched.

After being overtaken, we decided to not follow, and began the trek home on I-74. I arrived back in Canton around 10:45p.m., completing a day of nearly 15 hours of almost constant driving, and a day of 600 miles.

On a personal note, H, if you had your HAM license, you'd have seen more chasers than you did. :)

A few images:

LtoR: Elongated Wall Cloud on Cell #1, Wall cloud on Cell #3, Mammatus at sunset on Cell #4 near Quad Cities

Attachments

• 100_1045.jpg
    100_1045.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_1061.jpg
    100_1061.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_1079.jpg
    100_1079.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Iowa City storm, just after it crossed I-80. Tipton cell looked better on radar but in person I couldn't make it work photogenically. This was the best shot of the day.

2007_06_07_002.jpg

Back