06/03/04 NOW: CO, SD, NE, NM

Larry J. Kosch

NWS has posted a TORN Watch box for CO until 9 p.m. MDT. Storms are already firing up over the mountains and moving into the high plains of CO.

A Severe Storm watch was posted for SD and NE. Other storms are firing up in NM as well.

Post your NOW discussions here. 8) LJK.

It's getting to be that time of year. I noticed cells move out of the mountains of CO and blow up in the plains last night. Should be intersting today

Sitting at the Hudson Public library getting data, food, and gas. Thinking I'll head a bit south and sit between Denver International Airport and Hudson, using a series of county roads to move east/west. Cu going up all over the place with more organized towers starting to push eastward off the mountains from the Denver Metro Area northward; storms moving east/southeast. Let the show begin!

Supercell near Pueblo CO

I was going to mention the same thing that Chris R. did. There's a nice looking supercell on radar just to the SE of Pueblo CO. Its moving NE, which is quite contrary to the SE movements of the other storms in CO.

Here's a link to a visible GOES-12 satellite view of CO. The Pueblo supercell can be easily distiguished by its nice wide, circular cloud top shape in the SE portion of CO.

http://www.cira.colostate.edu/Special/Curr...Wx/g12arm10.asp

Here's a radar view of that same supercell from the NWS radar out of Denver/Boulder CO:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p37...r/si.kftg.shtml

Hope we have a few chasers following the Pueblo storm!! 8) LJK.

Tornado Warning in NE

NWS has issued a TORN warning for NE including the city of Sidney:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHEYENNE WY
520 PM MDT THU JUN 3 2004

TORNADO WARNING FOR...
SOUTHERN CHEYENNE COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF NEBRASKA
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF SIDNEY UNTIL 545 PM MDT

AT 513 PM MDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO NEAR MOUNT VERNON COMMUNITY CENTER...OR ABOUT 10 MILES WEST OF SIDNEY MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

Strangely enough, the TWS radar out of Cheyenne WY doesn't really show anything big like a supercell hovering over Sidney NE, just a normal looking storm. I wonder if the spotters mistook a gustando instead?? :?: LJK.

Edit: I did a replay of the Sidney tornado storm on radar and saw a slight hook in the storm formation. It didn't last very long though. 8) LJK.

Good Catch!!

Good Catch Chris! :cheers:

Looks like that storm cell near Alliance NE is showing some rotational characteristics of a supercell. And there's another one to the NW near Chadron thats also showing some rotation. Anybody chasing these storms in NE?? 8) LJK.

Back