Your Input, Please: Canon Vixia HF S20 vs Panasonic HDC TM700

I went last year without a camcorder--just couldn't afford one. Need I say that 2010 was NOT a year to be without one. I can't let that happen again. With a bit of cash coming to me, I'm now looking again at something under $1,000. I want hi-def, I'm fine with flash memory, and I want decent low-light performance.

So far two models seem to fit that bill: The Canon Vixia HF S20 ($685 at Fumfie) and the Panasonic HCD-TM700 ($799 at B&H). From what I've read, the Panasonic seems to have the edge in low-light performance, battery life, and audio quality), but both cameras have gotten great reviews.

Anyone here have experience with either? I figure I'll probably get recommendations for other cameras as well, and that's fine. Also, I'm open to older models, but if you recommend one, please give me an idea what the price might be.

Thanks!

Bob, I've got the HS-300 Panasonic cam which is the previous version of the TM700. I'll have it with me in Chicago next weekend. I would highly suggest the Panasonic after using mine for a season.

Yeah, Ben, I know you've spoken pretty glowingly about that 300 of yours. After reading further rave reviews about the TM700 and some comparisons with equivalent models by other companies, I'm pretty much sold on it. The Panasonic looks to be a fantastic camera for around $750. Just waiting for a check to arrive now so I can pull the trigger.

Back