Your Biggest 'OH MY GOD' experience

• Thread starter Mike Hollingshead
  • Start date
This close one after 8 hours of chasing:

LLWildOne.jpg

This one because this lightning bolt stretched out across an entire mountain range and shot out from miles away:

LLBoltfromtheBlue.jpg

This one because something huge and furry landed on my arm:

LLFeather.jpg

and this one because I had been trying for this shot for 3 years and it finally happened for me last year:

LLAmericanFlag.jpg

Other moments on video would include Royal NE and Muskogee, OK.

The biggest OMG? Hmmm If I don’t count my first trip to Night Trips here in OKC when I was 21 and it had to be weather related it would be the following in this order.

May 12 2005 South Plains
October 9 2001 Elk City/Foss Lake
June 4 2005 SC KS.

May 12 2005
A chase I will never forget with a large close up tornado and monster hail. Man my heart was racing 90 to nothing it was that intense. Although the actual hail and tornado were very very very scary I think the scariest part of the chase was the ride back to Childress Tx. It was dark, raining so hard you could barely see the road, and on top of all that a tornado warning very close to where we where at. YA!
www.mesomick.com/20051205/2.jpg

October 9 2001
The most fantastic tornado I have ever seen. It was an absolutely stunning demonstration of a vortex. Plus it was my first every tornado on film.
www.mesomick.com/20010910/A6.jpg

June 4 2005
Chad Lawson, Shane Adams, and myself in Chad’s car and Jo Radel and Angie Norris in Angie’s car. It was getting dark all of us (Chad, Shane, and myself) where very frustrated at the days outcome so we had completely threw in the towel. We where sitting at a gas station just east of Eureka KS just waiting for the cell to the west of us pass us by before we headed home. From out of the gray we see a lowering. None of us could determine if there was rotation but we could see it changing shapes rather quickly. As the lowering started cross hwy 54 it began to thin out and form into a tornado. It very well may have been a tornado the whole time though. But what makes this chase an “OMGâ€￾ moment is the fact that not but five minutes prior we had given up. Luck of the draw.
www.mesomick.com/20050406/1.jpg

Mick

I would be very interested who chased with this car...the first time I really could see with which cars you hunt storms :lol:
That vehicle belongs to RJ Evans

And the guy with his back to the camera and his hand in his pocket is Bobby Prentice. Great guy! :D

KR

Three OMG moments come to mind...
November 10, 2002
Actually started out that day in middle TN, but things just didn't feel right, so I turned around and went back home. The Mossy Grove tornado happened about half an hour after I got home, another smaller tornado about 10 miles away about two hours later, and then...
Warning came out at 10:20pm for "tornado on the ground, spotter indicated, 8 miles west of Oak Ridge moving east at 60mph. Residents of Claxton take cover now". Well, I lived right in the middle of Claxton, so what did I do? That's right, grabbed the camera and yelled at my kid..."if you want to see a tornado, get your a** outside right now!" Eight minutes later, thanks to the lightning, got a wedge on vid.
May 29, 2004
Tornadofeast in Kansas...one after the other, every size and shape from a quick little rope to start the afternoon, to the incredible merry-go-round, to two white "ghosts" right before we lost daylight. I still can't stop smiling when I remember that day.
June 4, 2005
Heheheh....thought Mickey might mention the turkey :wink: .
Even better for me than the 2 tornadoes we got was what happened while we were repositioning. We were leaving some little lake, busting you-know-what to get out of the way of the quickly approaching line, when there was an explosion right outside my car. Didn't even see the bolt that almost got Jo and me until we watched the vid...heard it and felt it, though :shock: 8) :D
Angie

Most intense moment for me June 30th this year after being in MN the night before.

Darin Brunin and I had little sleep and decided what the heck on a 2 percent day, and targeted SE KS. We observe a nice shelf east of Overbrook , get blasted for awhile till we hit Lyndon KS, where we hear of a tornado warning in coffey county IIRC. So we haul arse towards it, find ourselves under the rotation and behind some highway patrol cars near Beto's Junction, and watch it go outflow dominant as it passes by. We meet up with Eric B' Hymer shortly after, and hear of a new cell to our west near Matfield Green. Our nowcasters guided us to the right storm :).

We see a base and a wall cloud starting to form near madison. We head west of Madison, where wall cloud is now in clear sight, rotating slightly. The cell makes a right turn, so we head south to watch this thing rotate like crazy, (Eric calls it in, it's now tornado warned) stopping shortly to take pictures feeling nickels hit our back. We continue to drive south, as the wall is now directly to our south and less than one mile away. Behind us is the core from hell, and we can't stay ahead of the storm, thanks to the poor road network, and get SLAMMED. After gripping the steering wheel, and trying to drive through 60-70 mph winds and some small hail we make it out.
End of part 1.

Thanks to a bridge being repaired we cant get south, so we must go back north and east to catch the tornado-warned cell. After navigating through the infamous flint hill road network, we are now on the NW side of the storm. Quick gas fill up at Yates center. (LOL, storm was passed, and they sounded the tornado sirens AFTER it was gone) Hearing reports of funnel clouds, frustrated, we make it to Buffalo, where Mike Johnston informs us would be a good spot to be. So we head south of there and head east with Eric in front. He calls it a day, we core punch it to the east and now south heading to parsons trying to stay away from the baseball hail being reported. At this time we are about 5 miles north of parsons when we hear of a half mile wide tornado on the ground 4 miles north east of parsons. Very low visibility so i head east on some dirt road, then south again, towards mccune? Can't remember the town east of parsons. It's now dark and the tornado is on the ground somewhere a mile or two in front of us (from reports). That's when the hail begins, nothing big, then bigger, then it just pours golfball-tennisball size hail with winds I couldn't measure but would estimate >70 mph. This lasts for an eternity.

We head back to parsons. Try to head home, where we get blasted by an MCS near Eerie. I have never been sick of storms, but that day, I could have cared less. Awesome lightning show on the way home.

Most intense moment and most frustrating moment for me. I think SPC has 8 tornadoes that touched down that day into missouri (tornado warned through 8 plus counties, IIRC) from that storm, and we were there from the beginning, just couldn't get ahead of it. *sigh* 2005 for me.

May 29th of 2004 is by far the most memorable chase ever. Ken Johnson and I saw estimated 4 or so tornadoes that day!

tornado8.jpg

tornado13.jpg

On May 4, 2003 I was caught behind the tornadic supercell SW of Springfield Missouri. I was about 10 miles West of it and had a perfect view of the incredibly corkscrewed updraft that went all the way up to 55,000-60,000. I have never seen an updraft that was barberpoled all the way up to the over shooting top. It was definitely one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. When I caught back up to the storm I had to punch the core while driving through Springfield. The tornado sirens were whaling and there were leaves and trash raining down that had been sucked up into the storm by the violent long track tornado the storm had produced. I will never forget that day.

I think I would put in my entire 2005 chase season that just got better and better. I was able to capture 18 tornadoes all within about 75 miles or so of Lubbock and only two long distance trips that for all intents and purposes were busts.

I can't remember a year in the past where I was able to get so many, PHOTOGENICALLY AWESOME tornadoes this close to home in one season. By the middle of June I felt like I wasn't going to be able to out on a storm here WITHOUT seeing a tornado.

What made it even more awesome was the fact that the rest of tornado alley was quite poor for tornadoes climatologically. My avatar is just one of those catches this year out here.

Certainly didn't hurt any either that the first year I started chasing for the local station we had such a great season locally as well.

Throw in that I chased my first hurricane this year which was awesome besides the trashed video camera.

Yeah, this season was an "oh my god" season for me.

In chronological order:

April 6, 2001:
--My first chase. Unknowningly being chased by a funnel cloud, and remarking that I was hungry and wanted someone to pass the Fritos. "Food must come first." "OMG Moment #1" because I was such an idiot.

May 5, 2001:
--Not getting the $170 speeding ticket that my friends did, while they got the tornado instead of me.
--Nearly getting broadsided by another chaser not watching the road. This is the infamous "I'll give you one guess as to their gender and the color of their hair" quote. You can see that video on my website.

April 5, 2003:
--Lots of big hail. On a brand new hood that I had just put on my 6 month old car after rear-ending someone two weeks earlier.

May 29, 2004:
--3.5 years of chasing, and 60 chases later. I finally see my first tornado and break my streak of unsuccess. Pretty much all of my chases since then, have been awesome. I may not have scored the 'nader, but I've been in the right area.

May 13, 2005:
--Chasing a tornadic HP supercell near Haskell, TX, instead of going to my commencement at OU...and nearly missing the after-party with lots of drunken friends at my apartment.

May 14, 2005:
--While not officially chase related, it is meteorology related. I grauduated with my B.S. in Meteorology from OU.

May 24th 2004 in Alfalfa, OK. Saw at least 3 if not 4 brief tornadoes within a 30 minute span on the same storm. The best part was not the tornadoes, but the extremely intense rotation of that storm. It was almost unreal. I'm sure I said Oh my God more than once that day. I have never seen another storm in person that can even begin to compare to the motion that was in that storm.

anotherviewoftornadonearalfalf.jpg

majorrotationhere1vp.jpg

possibletornado8ji.jpg

Although I had had a fascination with storms my whole life, just like all of you, my first "real" chase resulted in seeing this:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/191462...116301154KLoOoH

I can only imagine what it would be like to start off a chase career with a bunch of disappoinment, but that blew me away.

Number 2 (pun intended; figure it out...) OMG:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/515456...155372300cTLJxw

I use that image of Mulvane because that's when the second tornado first developed, and the greatest "OMG" moment happened.

Then there was the "OMG" moment just before slamming into a police car on a flooded Terry county TX road May 3, 2001. But that's different.

Bob

Hi everyone,

thanks for your answers... nice to know that I was next to some famous chasers and I didn't know it and din't talked to them:( ... Ok...just saw too much strange on that day...the tornado, all the chasers. The next time I will do it better:)

Regards, Helge

May 4, 2003:

We had been chasing the southern-most storm in a line of supercells from just north of Tulsa to Kansas City, and had observed a weak tornado along the flanking line and a distant large tornado somewhere NE of Vinita, Oklahoma. Yet, we still hadn't seen anything (yet) that warranted our long jaunt through the sticks (at least, for this super-hype, high-risk day). By about 6:30, we were about to cross into Missouri, and the storm began to look like garbage from our perspective. Having already journeyed some 3.5 hours from home already and being ever the optimist, I suggested that we press on continue following this hybrid classic-HP supercell.

We crossed into Missouri and got onto US 60, and continued pursuing the supercell that somehow managed to stay about 8-10 miles ahead of us. At last, near Monnett, MO, I was able to make out the faint outline of a wedge tornado on the NE horizon (hitting Pierce City at the time). The biggest :shock: moment was when I looked to the NNE on HW 97 and was stunned by the sight of the incredibly large tornado (probably > 1/2 mile wide) that was just THERE. It is almost other-worldly when you are in the presence of something that big.

Later on, I had another :shock: moment when the tornado went through a visible multiple vortex phase and I could make out individual vortices spinning at an incredible rate of speed. It was as if the atmosphere was going in fast forward.

Gabe

Back