You can now submit your significant weather observations to the National Weather Serv

Thanks for the link Mike! PUB and BOU both indicated to me a while back this would be a BETA test of sorts, and they asked we not submit reports via Twitter until it officially goes "live". You might want to check with the WFO's in your area before you tweet.

Nobody on here should be tweeting... That's more for general public reports.

Yes...this! I think most of use have means to directly report to NWS without being thrown into the mud with "publicly" tweeted reports. 800 numbers, direct local phone numbers, ham radio, SN, espotter, etc.

I use e-spotter mainly if I am submitting them info online. But at my last spotter training session, our county EMA director said he was hoping skywarn would take advantage of twitter+facebook technologies and use that to help get the word out.

I think due to people using these services so much, its a good idea to help warn others with this.

This is a useful idea for the general public that just may happen upon an event such as large hail or damaging winds while traveling or while at home. But, if you are a spotter/chaser you should feel inclined to call the NWS office or submit the report by other means that you know the NWS sees ASAP. The twitter application is only in beta and as they already state, for any life threatening situation you should be contacting them directly.

Good idea for general public, not ideal for spotters/chasers/enthusiasts who have the means of contacting the NWS offices in other ways.

Back