XM Radio

What's the minimum possible investment to get XM Radio in a vehicle? I have no idea what the layout is for radios, subscriptions, and contract periods. Can you cut prices by getting a standalone boom box type system?

I'd like to have it but I don't spend enough time in the car to justify a $100-150+ expense.

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez

I'd like to have it but I don't spend enough time in the car to justify a $100-150+ expense.

Tim

I have the cheapest radio $40 and installed it myself (very simple). Didn't cost any more than what I paid for the radio. If you can write code/software you can put this thing in your car. lol.

I think you will like XM. I like it for the Bloomberg, Talk, Jazz, and the Old Time Radio (plays vintage radio shows). All of the stuff Oklahoma radio can't even touch.

Mick

I have Sirius but the principles (and costs) are about the same, I think.

Most sat radios can re-broadcast the program on the FM frequency of your choice. Many are intended for removable mounting, or you can make one yourself with Velcro and the usual wire management protocols. In-car radio sets come with a small roof antenna with a magnetic base and long, slim coax wire connector. You can also get small (or large) antennas intended for in-home out-the-window aiming (or wall/roof mounting).

The in-car radios are set up to run off 12v and don't come with a separate power block. You need to supply the 12v yourself to use an in-car radio at home, or get a model that has a boom box/cradle mounting. The ability to use the radio both at home and in the car, and take it on trips is a nice feature.

Some of the channels are available for subscribers to stream on their computer.

Originally posted by Mickey Ptak
I have the cheapest radio $40 and installed it myself (very simple). Didn't cost any more than what I paid for the radio.

But don't you have to get a subscription, too, to hear the broadcasts?

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tim Vasquez)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Mickey Ptak
I have the cheapest radio $40 and installed it myself (very simple). Didn't cost any more than what I paid for the radio.

But don't you have to get a subscription, too, to hear the broadcasts?

Tim[/b]

Oops yes mine is only $12.95 per month plus I think there was a one time $10 setup fee. Plus, like David said, you can login to XM online and hear 90% of the channels there also.

Mick

Ok Tim I took a couple of images of mine. These are terrible images so I am sorry but I think you get the point.

The first view is the back of the radio and also the stick on radio mount. (peal and stick)

http://www.mesomick.com/pages/images/misc/...XM/IMAG0020.JPG

The radio slides on and off very easy. The wires on the left of the radio are the 6v power supply and the antenna.

The antenna is magnetically mounted anywhere outside the car. Mine is in the back on the trunk. The hardest part imo is routing the antenna wire so no one will see it, but even that is not hard to do.

http://www.mesomick.com/pages/images/misc/...XM/IMAG0026.JPG

You do not have to directly hook up the XM unit to your preexisting stereo system because it use it’s own FM modeling system. Al you do is set the XM radio Frequencies (there are about eight to choose from) to a free and clear channel on your car stereo. It is great! If you are traveling you may have to change the frequency a time or two because you will find from time to time that there is a station that uses the same FM frequency also.

Mick

Myself and my partner Graham just purchased one for each of our chase vehicles from an authorized XM dealer on eBay. I went for the cheaper one which was $50 shipped and he got a nicer one which was $110 shipped. Both will have $30 mail in rebates. So mine is going to run $20 when it's said and done.

As stated, subscription is $12.95 for the first radio and an addional $6.99 per radio each additional radio on the account.

I bought XM satellite for my truck the day before Christmas. Jay McCoy talked me into getting one so I did. I went to Circuit City and got a sweet deal on the Roady2 which was originally $55 dollars and I got it for $17 bucks! Yea, the service is 12.95 a month with no contract. It will be nice listening to the music and comedy channels when I'm 3 hours from home at 10 o'clock at night. It even has the weather channel on it! (Like I listen to it!)
WEATHER CHANNEL: We have some severe weather in the TX panhandle to talk about but first let's go to Chris with some gardening tips... :lol:

Originally posted by David Drummond
Myself and my partner Graham just purchased one for each of our chase vehicles from an authorized XM dealer on eBay. I went for the cheaper one which was $50 shipped and he got a nicer one which was $110 shipped. Both will have $30 mail in rebates. So mine is going to run $20 when it's said and done.

As stated, subscription is $12.95 for the first radio and an addional $6.99 per radio each additional radio on the account.

I think if someone is running WxWorks you can get a discount on the radio service part of XM. At least that is what the girl at XM told me last year when I turned on my WxWorks.

I know from time to time you can pick up XM radios for free after rebates, I remember during the holiday season, Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart all had that deal going.

With HD radio growing it might be good to check it out in your area. The radio I've heard might be around $200 but the signal will be free. They say it will open up the am stations since am quality in HD will be equal to the FM HD channels.

Originally posted by Jay Cazel

I think if someone is running WxWorks you can get a discount on the radio service part of XM. At least that is what the girl at XM told me last year when I turned on my WxWorks.

This is true. On top of that, there is an antenna port on the WxWorx to attach your XM Radio to so it uses the same antenna!

When I was up in OKC I picked up a Delphi XM radio. I had to return the first one as it randomly locked up or showed garbage in the LCD window, but the second one is working fine.

I am beginning to think this is a great asset for chasing. When you're heading home after dark, having proper entertainment might be construed as a safety issue. No good radio = monotonous drive = attention deficit. There's also a feed of the Weather Channel, but I guess listening to Storm Stories during a PDS Tornado Watch won't cut it.

Tim

I think you're going to like it Tim. We have had ours on for about a week now and I love it. I got the Delphi also, but partner Graham got a fancier one. The other night while working on the chase vehicle I was listening to the old time radio dramas I used to listen to as a kid. Some of them are quite good. I look forward to those on the long, late night drives home.

Right... I'm actually using mine on my desk, using a cigarette lighter AC adapter that came with my DGPS several years ago. It works great. I'm looking forward to hearing the Jack Benny show.

It's also weird to be sitting here in the woods in east Texas and hear live traffic reports from Philadelphia.

Tim

Back