Would you subscribe to a new print edition of Stormtrack Magazine

Choose one: Would you subscribe to new version of Stormtrack Magazine

• No, the online forum is all I need.

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Yes, depending on price, frequency of publication, etc.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Yes, but only if it was very close to the original.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Yes, in almost anyform as long as it was good.

Votes: 28 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jason Foster

In addition to the poll, discuss things about a print edition of the magazine returning, such as content, scope, price, number of edition per year, etc. Should it be totally non-profit, or would small levels of compensation for the publisher and editors be acceptable.

This is just a lively discussion stemming from my other poll about board members who previously subscribed to the print edition

Thread found here

I personally haven't discussed this with David H. or Tim M. or Tim V. regarding this, just curious as to the thoughts out there.

Poll is set to close 12-31-2012

Last edited by a moderator:
I would enjoy a print edition of Stormtrack, and have thrown the idea around in my head, but don't have the time nor the resources to get something started. A few things that I believe would make a good print edition are:

• A monthly whos-who column that highlights one chaser per month. The column could include some details about their favorite chases, best intercepts, and perhaps some about their life outside of chasing.

• Have a small group of opinion writers who take turns writing opinoin columns about modern issues in chasing. The column should allow readers to respond to the article via e-mail and some of the responses would be posted in the magazine the following month.

• A column dedicated to a different significant chase event each month. The column would incorportate user submitted photos and chase accounts, along with a meteorological overview of the event (which is often omitted from online chase accounts).

• Allow some (but not a significant amount) advertising to help offset printing costs. Obviously the nature of advertising would depend on the number of subscribers.
If a small (or large) group wants to try and make this a reality again, I'm more than willing to contribute either as a columnist, editor, or whatever else is needed.

I had brought this up in another thread...so I'll just copy and paste my opinion.

"Maybe Tim and some older members can bring some light to this, but has there been an discussion about reviving the magazine aspect of ST? I do not know exactly what was in said magazine but I think it would be really cool to put on together on a quarterly basis based on what has been going on in the world of severe weather. Including related published papers by members, case studies or just editorials. I know a lot of this is covered online here in forums, but having a hard copy with some pictures included and the sort would be pretty neat to bring back."

I think it would be more useful and cost effective to focus on an online version that has a printable version. There is a lot of interactivity you'd lose with a hard copy as well as there being limited space, the lack of an ability to directly post responses, or search through archives. Users who like being able to carry a copy of the publication around with them could print it at home with their own printers.

What Skip said. I think the idea of a magazine format is great, but the time, deadlines, and production costs of a print edition would likely be extensive. Without minimizing the effort that is involved in maintaining the present, online Stormtrack website/forum, publishing a quality magazine would require considerably more investment. I can't imagine such a venture NOT being a for-profit operation.

An online periodical, though--well, it would still take considerable time to do it well, but I think our community has the resources to make such a thing feasible.

I would also like to see an online periodical on Stormtrack and be one of the resources to help. I agree with Bob that Stormtrack has a great community of people who would be willing to contribute and help with making an online edition.

An online blog that offered commenting, RSS feeds, and a printable edition would be idea.

I think an online version of StormTrack would work. If one could get the okay to do so using the StormTrack name.

Obviously the name is a big part of the publication. Of course a print edition would in my mind be somewhat separate and certainly would take over any of the online aspects here. In fact, I would think that the production team of the magazine would be a completely different crew than the moderators and administrators here, only getting feedback and coordination when necessary.

I think the three major costs involved with a printed and mailed edition of Stormtrack are:

printing costs
production time and software
postage

I would not see the magazine as being competitive to any major magazine in the membership arena, perhaps about 300 to 500 subscribers after the first year. But getting the first 100 is pretty hard.

Wasn't there a weather minded magazine that came out a few years ago... I believe it was associated with an Astronomy magazine some way. How did that fare? I need to go googling to see if I can remember what the name of it was...

edit: ahhh... I think this is a link to where it was http://www.extremeweathermag.com/ anyone read a copy of it?

I think the three major costs involved with a printed and mailed edition of Stormtrack are:

printing costs
production time and software
postage

Don't forget editorial. That's one hefty time investment. (This statement looks great with my boilerplate below. But no, I'm not advertising, just stating a fact.)

Don't forget editorial. That's one hefty time investment. (This statement looks great with my boilerplate below. But no, I'm not advertising, just stating a fact.)

Oh yeah, the time investment is huge...but I was thinking hard costs...assuming no actual pay for the time involvement....at least at the beginning.

I subscribed to Stormtrack from late 1996 until publication ended. I anxiously awaited each issue. I loved the very detailed chase reports, forecasting articles and Dave's cartoons. It really brings back fond memories. I still have my old issues and will probably get them bound even though I have that Stormtrack CD.

As for a new Stormtrack print edition, I can't imagine its long-term survival. The forces that caused it to end are still in place and much stronger. In addition to time and money problems, a print edition would not be necessary. Stormtrack online fulfils the need with updated chase reports and interactivity. One can go to the archives for older chase reports. There is great forecasting advice and equipment articles that are up to date. This website and the Storm Chaser Handbook are basically all one needs unless is researching more detailed technical forecast articles and texts.

A one time or occasional issue to raise money for the website might be a cool idea as mentioned on the other thread but I can't imagine anything regular. I leave that to my old issues and memories.

Bill Hark

One thing I did look into briefly is postage, and if the publication was non-profit, it could receive a slightly lower postage rate as a science publication.

I have yet to look into printing a production costs. I would think the a edge bind staple of a a three to four page 11x17 (to make an 8.5x11 publication of six to eight pages) wouldn't be too hard to assemble. I use to do these all the time when my father was alive and running his print and publishing business. In fact I almost got him to agree to print the original magazine for no cost of the non-color pages (but up to 2 colors)...but he got sick right around the time ST stopped being published too...so that never happened. If I personally did this, 300 copies wouldn't take long at all. I forget what the original publication membership numbers were though.