Winter weather awareness 2014

Since we are in the midst of a series of winter weather awareness weeks for various states and NWS CWAs this month, I wanted to announce a redesign and restructuring of the icyroadsafty.com web site into an online course format. Most of the content is the same, with some revisions - but it's now structured as an online course sequence. There are a few new articles and blog posts added over the past year or so as well, including some observations of two significant southern US icing events I made trips for in January. Video clips from the 2013-2014 season have also been added.

The site is a non-revenue effort. I receive ad revenue from my Youtube channel, other than that, the entire icyroadsafety.com effort is not sponsored, funded or supported by anyone. All of my coverage trips are financed by me personally out-of-pocket (Youtube ads offset this cost).

If you are doing any type of winter weather awareness in your community, I'd appreciate including the site and some of the safety concepts in your materials. I can provide images and videos to any NWS office, EMS/Fire groups or law enforcement for use in offline presentations free of charge.

I would also like to encourage spotters to monitor for icing in your area and make reports to the NWS if icing hazards are observed when no advisories or warnings are in effect. If you capture video, let me know and I will post a link to it on the social media feeds.

Thanks!
Dan

Here is an update from this recent event. There have been at least 15 icy road deaths since Saturday, November 16. This brings the total to at least 28 dead in 12 states since beginning of this Arctic air intrusion. Here is the state-by-state toll from Nov 16-17:

MN: 6, TX: 4, MO: 3, OK: 1, AR: 1

Totals since the beginning of this winter event last week (28):

Minnesota: 10
Texas: 4
Missouri: 3
Mississippi: 2
Arkansas: 2
Nebraska, Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Dakota and Michigan: 1 each

Remember, these are *minimum* numbers reported in news articles. There are likely many more.

Back