Will $5+ / Gallon Gas Keep You From Chasing?

How Will $4, $5, or Higher Gas Affect How Much You Chase This Season?

• Total voters
I'm hearing many financial analysts and talking heads describing how the unrest in the Middle East is leading to uncertainty in the oil supply and possibly jeopardizing our supply of fuel. First it was Tunisia, then Egypt, on the Bahrain, with the latest Libya actually having an effect on prices. March 11th is the 'Day of Rage' in Saudi Arabia and they are our primary supplier. Gas can go to $4, $5, or even higher. How will this affect your chasing? Will it make any difference? Do you think you will chase less,or only locally, or are you going to chase just as usual?

A couple season's ago I swapped out my gas hungry Tahoe, for a fairly fuel efficient Suzuki SX4 crossover. I was about to start considering going to another large vehicle but all this has my attention and long treks across the country on a regular basis will cost more, particularly whenever I chase solo.

Let us know your take on the whole issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in NW Ohio, so it will cost considerably more to just get to the plains, so I may have to limit my trips out there, but will chase locally regardless of the price of gas. I made a couple three day trips out west last year on slight risk events... those I won't do any more if the price of gas is over $4 a gallon, but I'll still make my annual trip or two to tornado alley in April and May. I'll just have to tighten up expenses elsewhere! I don't know what I'd do if I weren't able to chase in the mid west at least once a year!

Not gonna hold me back much. Haven't been to the plains yet but I Chase as often as I can locally. I look at it like this, it's a hobby and hobbies are expensive. Just a cost that fluctuates up and down. If it wasn't the gas it would be somehing else.

Limiting factor for me is time off from work and family obligations. If I can get out of one, and not have any of the other, then I'll be out there when I can be. I also have off from work for an 8 day window in early June for dedicated chasing, and fuel prices won't change that. Of course having a vehicle that can roll off 500 miles on a single 14 gallon tank helps quite a bit.

Won't affect how much I chase, but it will be interesting to see if it keeps going up what kind of effect it will have on the total number of chasers on particular storms. If the chase on Feb 27th was any indication, it may take $4 gas or higher to thin out the crowd this spring.

Should probably also ask the question, "Is anyone downsizing their vehicle due to high gas prices?"

It took a massive economic recession to drop oil prices, but world-wide production continues to slowly drop off while demand has continued to increase, which is bringing oil prices closer to what they should have been a year ago. Unless something unseen occurs I expect gas prices to climb to $4-5 per gallon for the next couple of summers and then possibly higher 5-10 years from now.

Downsizing the old chaser vehicle is a good way to double the mileage from the old truck or SUV. Example; someone currently driving a large truck or SUV might be getting 15-20 mpg with gas at $2.50 per gallon. Driving a smaller car could increase fuel efficiency to 35-45 mpg, which could more than double the miles when gas is $5 per gallon.

Simon

I plan on chasing more, actually, but only in the way that I've been chasing more and more with each year. Gas prices won't chase how often or where I chase, but I will definitely be doing fewer solo chases. Three people in the car with $5 gas is cheaper than just me with $2 gas, so that will be my way of negating the increase in gas prices.

We have suburbans that we chase with. We will be loading up the vehicle with as many chasers as possible. no way are we chasing less!

Still way cheaper than petrol in Aus...we are looking at $1.5 a litre (conversion factor basically 3.75G to L if you don't know). Hasn't stopped us chasing over here, and won't stop us chasing everywhere we can when in the states.

Still cheaper than here in Estonia two where prices are now soaring over 1,4 €/liter ... or $7,4/gallon and keep rising... Well, Estonia is a smaller country too, but yeah - like Connor said, multiple chasers in one vehicle and split the costs.

Wont change much. Rarely chase farther than 400 miles from home anyway. I chase with a 5 speed Ford Focus. Have to be a little cautious about road choices bit the car sips gas. My vacation is the first three weeks of June so hopefully upper midwest will be busy by then.

Due to advances in forecasting data and tools, I think chase target refinement has made up for a lot of unnecessary driving. Several things will contribute to substantial savings on fuel costs including: Proper tire inflation, a clean air filter, tune-ups and leaving for the target area earlier and taking 5-10 mph off the speed limit when not holding up traffic. One other suggestion, get a locking fuel cap. Motels are notorious for gas thefts, especially when prices jump over $4.00.

Drill baby drill...!!!

W.

I'd say the recent uptick in pricing will affect my chasing for sure. But that won't be long term. I never planned on making this little and will increase my income in the future, so it's a temporary thing. I suspect I'll spot chase more (short trips on big events) rather than doing my more preferred expedition style. Also, in the short term (2 or 3 years) I'm more money focused when it comes to chasing, so if there isn't a good ROI, I probably won't participate. Later, when my income has shifted into non-weather, non-chase related areas I'll return to chasing as a hobby, at which time, as mentioned, gas price would be the least of the issues.

I don't think gas will affect as many chasers as it might have once. Back in the day, mostly even before my time, and somewhat when I started (1997) chasers tended to be more poor than today. The advent of money making opportunities has brought in a different kind of chaser. A more affluent group has entered and many chasers have also learned to make money, even if nothing more than to offset expenses. Chasers are resourceful too. Some just have passions so high, well, they'll do just about anything to keep chasing.

I will be taking the Focus and leave the Tundra in the driveway this year. It's a bit limiting sometimes but gotta try to keep some money in the bank.

High gas prices won't slow me down at all. My chase vehicle gets 48-52 mpg. Even if gas prices increase $1 a gallon, that only equates to an extra $100 for every 5,000 miles I chase. The mileage I get really takes the sting out of high gas prices.

Bryan

Back