WiFi Questions...

I like netstumbler. I am new to useing it. I have a linksys card. I have not been able to take what it tells me and connect to another system yet. look forward to what the pros may post on this. :)

Yes I know. I have to run linksys software with the card and while it allow me to have several links setup I have not been able to get any to connect. :(

If I am in very remote areas(which I doubt will connect anyways) I bring up Netstumbler to help, but when I really want wifi to connect, I usually just find a hotel or whatever and let windows connect for me. It usually does this pretty fast and quite well.

yes I have questions about wifi wardriving connections:

my card is a SMC 2.4 hz 802.11b
issue:
1. The SMC people have told me that my connections must be with 192.168 addresses only, but even with this I still have trouble connecting
does anyone else have this problem.....ocassionally I can connect with hotels but its spotty and frustrating and fussy
2. Am I only gonna connect with high speed connections? or will I be able to connect with say DSL, or dial up too?
thanks
bill mudd

Originally posted by bill mudd
yes I have questions about wifi wardriving connections:

my card is a SMC 2.4 hz 802.11b
issue:
1. The SMC people have told me that my connections must be with 192.168 addresses only, but even with this I still have trouble connecting
does anyone else have this problem.....ocassionally I can connect with hotels but its spotty and frustrating and fussy
2. Am I only gonna connect with high speed connections? or will I be able to connect with say DSL, or dial up too?
thanks
bill mudd

You should be able to connect to any wireless High Speed Internet Access Point(AP) that is transmitted at 2.4GHz. You will not be able to connect to dial up.

That said, you will usually be connecting to IP addresses that are 192.168.1.???. Those are the typical IP addresses put out by Wireless Routers. However, you shold be able to connect to any other IP address transmitted wirelessly.

If you are trying to connect to certain AP and not having success be sure that it is not locked(WEP encrypted). Also be certain it is within range. If it is not locked, in range and still not working I would attempt to re-install/update your Wireless card driver. If still not working you may have a problem with your card.

Back