WiFi... is it worth it?

I'm a little confused - which Orinoco card is the one to get for a laptop ? - they show several on their web page :
http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/

I would recommend the Orinoco 11b Gold PC card. It does not support the 11g technology but I have found very few 11g WiFi networks. Although if you want the ability to access the 11g networks aswell I would say the 11 b/g Gold PC card would be the choice. Though I am not sure about the external antenna capabilities of the 11 b/g card. maybe someone else could expand on that.

http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/11bpccard/index.htm

http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client...card/index.html

Aren't most 11g routers backwards compatible to 11b? All the ones I have seen in the store are. B cards will work on a G network, but only at B speeds.

Another thing to keep in mind about B and G cards/routers is that the internet speed will only be as fast as the network's parent internet connection. That is, for all practical purposes, you won't see any difference in download/upload internet speeds between B and G networks.

For instance, if the host network is on a 512Kbps DSL or cable connection, that's the maximum speed you'll get when you connect, both on a B or a G card. So, for now you can stick to the less expensive B adapters with no compromise in wireless internet performance. Even the fastest internet connections available today (and well into the foreseeable future) are far slower than the Wireless-B operating speeds.

For most people, there's no real advantage to having a G adapter over a B. Right now the only way to take advantage of the G networks' speed is for computer-to-computer file transfers on the same network (intranet file transfers).

For instance, if you're frequently moving things like 500MB - 1GB video files from your laptop to your desktop PC via wireless, then G is a big help.

Even the fastest internet connections available today (and well into the foreseeable future) are far slower than the Wireless-B operating speeds.

Assuming that you are not just referring to DSL/Cable access, the above statement is not correct. There are massive amounts of Internet bandwidth available in basically any speed you are willing to pay for. 802.11B will only give you an average throughput of about 6 Meg; ethernet, TCP, and radio overhead suck the rest.

Be well, TR

Agreed Susan, WiMAX will be a kewl and helpful tool. As it operates in licensed frequencies, providers can pump more juice than the 1watt that ISM/UNI-II unlicensed bands are limited to. This will help to broaden signal range, maintain high speeds, and work to eliminate line of site issues that are the primary downfall of WiFi gear...

Be well, TR

Going back to the difference between the gold and Silver Orinoco cards.. the silver card only allows for 64 bit encryption while the gold is 128bit – in plain English this is just how complex the “passwordsâ€￾ can be between the Access point and your wireless card and is not something to worry about while chasing. Both card have external antnna jacks ... so ether will work.

There has been a vast improvement on the amount of WiFi access points this year over 2003 – hopefully the trend to have open networks will continue but having said that I don’t think anyone objects to paying a few $ for a hook up at a truck stop.

Bang on there Stuart. WEP encryption is not really relevent for chasing, nor is it secure by any means; can be hacked by any keener. There is a point to consider with encryption overall: it will decrease your throughput noticably due to overhead in the process. As far as I'm concerned, WEP total junk.

Be well, TR

Bang on there Stuart. WEP encryption is not really relevent for chasing, nor is it secure by any means; can be hacked by any keener. There is a point to consider with encryption overall: it will decrease your throughput noticably due to overhead in the process. As far as I'm concerned, WEP total junk.

Be well, TR

And thus the reason for WPA... and the new security protocol 802.11i (?... or e?, one of them at least)...

Back