• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

WiFi... is it worth it?

...and even as WiFi is cool...WiMAX is coming, soon to extend distances and provide more seamless coverage. Intel & Nokia are working on it.

Agreed Susan, WiMAX will be a kewl and helpful tool. As it operates in licensed frequencies, providers can pump more juice than the 1watt that ISM/UNI-II unlicensed bands are limited to. This will help to broaden signal range, maintain high speeds, and work to eliminate line of site issues that are the primary downfall of WiFi gear...

Be well, TR

Going back to the difference between the gold and Silver Orinoco cards.. the silver card only allows for 64 bit encryption while the gold is 128bit – in plain English this is just how complex the “passwordsâ€￾ can be between the Access point and your wireless card and is not something to worry about while chasing. Both card have external antnna jacks ... so ether will work.

There has been a vast improvement on the amount of WiFi access points this year over 2003 – hopefully the trend to have open networks will continue but having said that I don’t think anyone objects to paying a few $ for a hook up at a truck stop.

Bang on there Stuart. WEP encryption is not really relevent for chasing, nor is it secure by any means; can be hacked by any keener. There is a point to consider with encryption overall: it will decrease your throughput noticably due to overhead in the process. As far as I'm concerned, WEP total junk.

Be well, TR

Bang on there Stuart. WEP encryption is not really relevent for chasing, nor is it secure by any means; can be hacked by any keener. There is a point to consider with encryption overall: it will decrease your throughput noticably due to overhead in the process. As far as I'm concerned, WEP total junk.

Be well, TR

And thus the reason for WPA... and the new security protocol 802.11i (?... or e?, one of them at least)...

Originally posted by Stuart Robinson

There has been a vast improvement on the amount of WiFi access points this year over 2003 – hopefully the trend to have open networks will continue but having said that I don’t think anyone objects to paying a few $ for a hook up at a truck stop.

Thats if you are lucky enough to find one that accepts UK credit cards. This was my only problem last year. I hope the truckstops have taken this on board for 2005.

They just don't like tourists Stu :wink:

Mark

Back