Wifi/Internet on the road

Originally posted by David Wolfson
From Wikipedia:
In the US, the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi radio spectrum is also allocated to amateur radio users. FCC Part 15 rules govern non-licenced operators (i.e. most Wi-Fi equipment users). Amateur operators retain what the FCC terms "primary status" on the band under a distinct set of rules (Part 97). Under Part 97, licensed amateur operators may construct their own equipment, use very high-gain antennas, and boost output power to 100 watts on frequencies covered by Wi-Fi channels 2-6. However, Part 97 rules mandate using only the minimum power necessary for communications, forbid obscuring the data, and require station identification every 10 minutes. Therefore, expensive automatic power-limiting circuitry is required to meet regulations, and the transmission of any encrypted data (for example https) is questionable.

In practice, microwave power amplifiers are expensive and decrease receive-sensitivity of link radios. On the other hand, the short wavelength at 2.4 GHz allows for simple construction of very high gain directional antennas. Although Part 15 rules forbid any modification of commercially constructed systems, amateur radio operators may modify commercial systems for optimized construction of long links, for example. Using only 200 mW link radios and two 24 dB gain antennas, an effective radiated power of many hundreds of watts in a very narrow beam may be used to construct reliable links of over 100 km with little radio frequency interference to other users.

Heh. :D Hear me now?!!! KD7SMQ clear!

HA I love it! Now what did I do with that linear amp? hehe That could be fun to play with, but the extra power wouldn't help much if the AP wasn't putting out the power to reach you though. Nice to see I could do that 255mw without trouble though! I wonder what would be the best way to implement the call sign ID? Put it in the device name?

The Linksysco forum (which this thread has just turned me onto today) has three tips that make sense: use about the same power as the transmitting IAP; don't try too hard with bothering to replace the stock antennas -- they're plenty good enough; if you boost the power, make sure you give the unit adequate cooling so you don't fry its insides.

I'd think using the call sign as the SSID should handle that requirement!

Originally posted by David Wolfson
The Linksysco forum (which this thread has just turned me onto today) has three tips that make sense: use about the same power as the transmitting IAP; don't try too hard with bothering to replace the stock antennas -- they're plenty good enough; if you boost the power, make sure you give the unit adequate cooling so you don't fry its insides.

Does make sense on the antennas, I just want to get them out of that big signal attenuator we call a vehicle!

I envision the unit sitting on the dash along with the radar detector, the Sirius radio, and the Earthmate -- with the black fabric cover hiding all except for the two antennas peeping out.

Yeah, I need to look into the max power allowed on that and see if I can keep it under that. I don't really want to loose my ham license for an overpowered wifi setup. The thing I really like about it is the automation plus the easy ability to add a GOOD external antenna, as most of the antennas you can add to the few pc cards that support it are crap anyway.
[/b]

I picked up this Wifi card and antenna set up off E-bay last week...All I can say it does make a big difference on picking up a Wifi signal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5726911469

I picked up this Wifi card and antenna set up off E-bay last week...All I can say it does make a big difference on picking up a Wifi signal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5726911469
[/b]
Would there be any solution that I plug the antenna directly into the USB port? I have a wifi in the laptop, but its receiver is definatelly a poor one. External antenna would help I guess.

Something else that will help is to get an external wireless card.
Even though my laptop has built in wireless, when I am chasing I only use the external Orinoco Gold Combo PCMCIA card with an external 7dBi antenna magnet mounted on the roof. I can pick up WIFI where you wouldn't think WIFI existed.
Here is the antenna I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5752684006
And here is the card I use.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.a...aspx?EDC=634350
Even a local police department and quite a few Sheriff officers use this card and antenna setup after seeing how well it works for me (yeah, they use free WIFI too! :shock: )
[/b]

Thanks for the info Bill, I just ordered me an antenna and a card.

Bill- got my card today and just waiting on the antenna. Quick question- did you mount the antenna to your car? If not- where did you decide to run the wire out of your car at. I've been debating the best way to do this as I'm afraid that I'll ruin the wires if I just slam it in the door, etc.

Bill- got my card today and just waiting on the antenna. Quick question- did you mount the antenna to your car? If not- where did you decide to run the wire out of your car at. I've been debating the best way to do this as I'm afraid that I'll ruin the wires if I just slam it in the door, etc.
[/b]

I have never had any problems cutting wires. Best to put them through the rear door and run it to the cpu. I do check it from time to time just to be sure, and move it around if need be. :)

I just ran mine out one of the rear doors. I am more careful when I close the door it comes out of.
I also bought the 10' extension cable which makes it easier to route the wire where it will not get pinched. This will be the second season I have used it with no problems.

**Note** When using an external wireless card, you need to disable the onboard wireless card temporarily while the external card is in use. They will both work at the same time but it works better if you use the external as the primary wireless card.

I went to the Cingular Wireless Store this morning to find out about their wireless internet plans.

According to the person I spoke with, they have 2 wireless cards that you can purchase...

Their older card, the GC83 Edge Card has 115k speed. For a 2 year contract, the card is $99.99 with a 100 dollar rebate. For a 1 year contract, the card is $149.99 with a 100 dollar rebate.

Cingular also has a newer card out, the Sierra card. Currently, it has 115k speed, next month they will offer one with 300k speed. For a 2 year contract, the card is $199.99 with a 100 dollar rebate. For a 1 year contract, the card is $249.99 with a 100 dollar rebate.

Monthly charges for data are as follows:

20MB: $39.99
50MB: $49.99
Unlimited: $59.99

There is a 36 dollar activation fee.

No roaming charges.

Their coverage is pretty good if you're going to be chasing in Oklahoma and Texas, you'll be a little spotty in Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas. I will post a coverage map a little later today.

I will tell you, I have Sprint, my partner has Cingular. We have found many times where one of us doesn't have coverage, and the other one does. Then have been complimenting each other very well actually. If someone had the budget for it, having one from each would get you covered MOST of the time.

Just for everybody's FYI if they haven't heard Sprint is offering their wireless card for free with a purchase of monthly plan. Don't know any numbers yet, but I'm planning to head over to the RadioShack store this weekend and try to find out. If I find something out or somebody here always ready knows those please pass them along!

I was just at the Sprint store...they have better coverage in Kansas, New Mexico, Nebraska, the Dakotas...they also are more expensive than Cingular ($79.99 unlimited v. $59.99 unlimited)

Additionally, they aren't giving free cards. However, for a limited time, there is no activation fee.

Back