Why Spring Kicks @$$

A couple hours ago, I was holed up in a windowless computer lab working on some homework. When I left and went outside, I noticed a lot of dark and ominous clouds around that had not been there when I last saw the sky about half an hour before. About halfway back to my apartment, there was a clap of thunder followed by a spattering of rainfall-only isolated drops, so far apart I only got hit by a couple-but they were quite large and stung when they hit. Then several strong gusts of wind hit, sending "waves" through the grass and thrashing the trees back and forth. I would estimate in the 25-35 mph range.

Upon getting back to my apartment, I noticed the "missed alert" lamp on my NOAA Weather Radio was on. I checked the NWS web site on my laptop and found this:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREEN BAY WI
1252 PM CDT WED MAY 3 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREEN BAY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
SOUTHERN BROWN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST WISCONSIN

* UNTIL 130 PM CDT

* AT 1247 PM CDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A LINE OF SEVERE
THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS.

We're not anywhere near the SPC risk area today-even the 5% areas for wind/hail only extend as far north as the WI/IL border. Just another day in May! :)

Just another day in May! :)
[/b]

Evidently, I need to move to Wisconsin for all the convective action. Last night I switched my bedroom lamp off to see the occasional electric blue flash of lightning out of my blinds, but I drifted off to sleep and somehow managed to miss the ten drops of rain that OUN managed to scrape from the bottom of the meteorological barrel while under a severe box and moderate risk.

Congrats on your storm. You're at least one-up on me for the month.

K.

Maybe the MOD risks will follow me on my drive back to Minnesota in a couple of weeks, what a joy that would be. :)

Why Spring Kicks @$$ [/b]

It only does if your in the area where it "kicks @$$." My brother in-law has seen 2 tornadoes from his house in MO and he doesn't even chase! While I'm over here in NM waiting till finals are over.

Back