Why do you chase?

Such a basic question, and filled with so many different reasons. I can identify with at least some aspect of every answer so far. For me, it's a lifelong interest in weather, combined with a stark fear of tornadoes as a kid. I grew up watching TV weather forecasters (one in particular who had a puppet sidekick) show maps and such...in the days where satellite photos were cutting edge...and after having experienced a tornado in my toddler years...these early exposures got me thinking from around 1st grade that I was interested in meteorology. Until the TV weather person I idolized dissed me by dismissing my excitement when I told him I wanted to be a weatherman and he just ignored me. (I found out later he went on to be a businessman in a garden business. He never was a weather fanatic.) I gave up pursuing weather because of that...and was gripped by a fear of severe weather and tornadoes for many years not knowing that there was a way to understand the dynamics at play. Years later I began to learn this, and slowly my fear turned into fascination. And a storm chaser/severe weather enthusiast was born. That's why I chase.

I do it for me. Can't really think of a more honest way to say it...although I could elaborate.

TSPE (too short, please elaborate): I chase to see the equations and physics I learned in my classes in action. It helps solidify my theoretical knowledge. I also chase to see if I am good enough to predict hours in advance where a tornado may occur. I like to document severe weather for my own entertainment and memories, but I'm nothing more than an amateur photographer. I don't think I'll ever try to make money by getting good enough photos or video to be worth selling.

Such a basic question, and filled with so many different reasons. I can identify with at least some aspect of every answer so far. For me, it's a lifelong interest in weather, combined with a stark fear of tornadoes as a kid. I grew up watching TV weather forecasters (one in particular who had a puppet sidekick) show maps and such...in the days where satellite photos were cutting edge...and after having experienced a tornado in my toddler years...these early exposures got me thinking from around 1st grade that I was interested in meteorology. Until the TV weather person I idolized dissed me by dismissing my excitement when I told him I wanted to be a weatherman and he just ignored me. (I found out later he went on to be a businessman in a garden business. He never was a weather fanatic.) I gave up pursuing weather because of that...and was gripped by a fear of severe weather and tornadoes for many years not knowing that there was a way to understand the dynamics at play. Years later I began to learn this, and slowly my fear turned into fascination. And a storm chaser/severe weather enthusiast was born. That's why I chase.

I can honestly say, as a noob, that I appreciate all of the veteran chasers/weather fanatics that are willing to take you under their wing and are willing to share their passion with others. I have developed a great disliking for the ones that feel that they are entitled and that noobs are nothing more than a nuisance. I understand that some people make no real effort to learn the ropes and do things the safe way, but it makes it very hard for those of us who genuinely want to learn and want to add to the community. I am sorry that that weatherman acted that way toward you. Role models can make or break those who admire them, and I see that as a potential to leave a positive mark on another person. I am glad that you carried on without his approval!

Because I love the challenge of making the forecast and the reward when it translates into success. Because the more I learn about the weather the more my enjoyment, appreciation and fascination of it grows. Because there’s nothing like leaving home in the wee hours of the morning and driving 1,000 miles and finding yourself that evening under a majestic supercell somewhere out on the great plains, it’s like leaving one life behind and entering into a completely different one where all troubles and worries are left behind and the only concern is related to the storm you’re enjoying. There are many other things I love about chasing but to be honest the main reason I chase is because I love to see tornadoes, it’s the reason I started chasing and the main reason I continue to chase. Everything else is gravy...especially the women.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, Warren. Also, I usually learn something new every time I go, be it positive or negative. And I never come back without getting at least a few pics. Whether I retain what I learn is a different matter!:rolleyes:

There's no tornado in this video, but I think these shots from April 1-3 embody why I chase: to witness the beauty, awe, and thrill of Great Plains weather. The shelf cloud sequence with bowl lowering, tornado warned with sirens wailing, and the approaching RFD gust front was as thrilling as many of my tornado intercepts. The cinnabon swirl that goes overhead filled us with awe. Beautiful skies, sunsets, and cloudscapes on the rest of the trip. I don't need a tornado to have an amazing chase experience.

Watch video >

In all seriousness, exactly what Skip said is why I chase. I just love everything about it. The entire experience, from the time I leave until the time I return home. I never expect to "bag" a tornado. Its a bonus I guess. I enjoyed chasing on May 30th last year from Ponca City down to Sulpher, not seeing any tornadoes, way more than I did chasing on the 31st. From about 02'-06' I chased locally, back when I was living in De Kalb, TX. But it all started out of fear and anxiety. Being born and raised in Oregon, sitting through the storms in east Texas was horrible. One day I say "F*** THIS!" and started driving through them to get them over with faster lol. Not long after after I began educating myself more and more on structure and whatnot. Which in turn, made running through them evolve into keeping up with them.

Back