Why do you chase?

kmreid

EF1
I am sure each of you have had this problem at some point, but how do you respond to people who ask you why you chase? There are some people that you just can't explain it to, because no matter what, they will not understand. Unfortunately, a number of them assume that I am a thrill seeker and that I am wishing for something to happen that can kill people and destroy their property. The fact is, tornadoes are going to happen. There is nothing that we can do to stop them...absolutely nothing, so where is the harm in wanting to see one? Each of us have our reasons. Some do enjoy the thrill of experiencing one of the greatest forces of nature, some of us do it to further the science community's understanding of storms, some of us are confronting fears, some of us do it simply as a hobby. So, why do each of you chase? What is it about storm chasing that makes you tick?

Haha, well i guess really it's jsut the cash flowing OUT of my wallet...

But seriously, I do it because I find storms fascinating, powerful, and beautiful. Getting out there and being a part of/witnessing them unfold, there is just nothign like it. And it does take skill, patience, and luck to get the most out of it. But if it was easy, I think part of the appeal would be gone. Also, I love trying to photograph them, especially lightning. And don't forget the peacefullness of driving out in unpopulated country roads, passing through small towns you would never normally see. The only thing I don't like is BUSTING!

I have always been drawn to severe weather. It's a very intriguing thing. The fact that all these invisible ingredients can come together to produce something that can create 300 mph winds and power to pick up large objects, toss them great distances, and destroy well built structures is remarkable.

I love analyzing data, creating my own forecast, and then going out and seeing if it verifies. Choosing the right storm and positioning myself to be able to view the storm while keeping myself out of danger. It's like a real life video game. I admit I do get a rush from being in the presence of a powerful storm.

I love photography and can't think of anything more beautiful to photograph than a great storm. I enjoy traveling and seeing places I haven't seen before as well as visiting places I'm fond of. I feel like when I chase I can just forget about everything for a while and immerse myself in what I love to do.

I love to see the beautiful power of Mother Nature. I started simply because I wanted to see a tornado in person. I just think they are fascinating. Hail is fascinating as well. I think to explain it to someone else, it's just like any other hobby that anyone has, you do it because you enjoy it.

The beauty, power, the unique identity of each storm...all of these are part of the reason I chase. I think on a deeper level though its a way for me to let go and enjoy the moment without actually having to remember to enjoy the moment, much like when I was younger and the responsibilities of life hadn't started to kick in yet.

I can really only mirror what has been said here. But when asked, I usually just break it down to "personal curiosity". It's simple, and they seem to get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

My friends and family do not really support or understand my obsession with tornadoes. Most of them have seen and been through just as much as i have with them, but they choose not to think about it because it causes them to panic. The truth is that I think I am still terrified of these things somewhere deep down. I have seen first hand what tornadoes are capable of, growing up in the south Oklahoma City suburbs of Bridge Creek, and Moore. I have been chased by monster tornadoes on more than 3 occasions. The May 3rd 1999 tornado was a terrifying experience. Bridge Creek looked like mars after the twister went through. It took the grass... So to a kid with an already overactive imagination, the idea of this monster that could come out of nowhere and take your house and family away was very scary. But as i have gotten older, my almost irrational fear of these things has turned more into obsession. I am constantly thinking about tornadoes. Constantly waiting for the next one. I want to know as much as I can about them. I want to see them, and to be close to them. Its a defiance. Its me facing my fears, and in doing that I am not afraid. Being close to, and standing your ground against the thing you are most afraid of in this world is ultimate rush, and thats the truth. Last year i stood out in the middle of 19th st in Moore and watched the tornado coming straight at me. I wasnt panicked, I was angry. I wanted to chase it, and watch it die.

I chase tornadoes now because I am afraid of them, if that makes any sense lol

My friends and family do not really support or understand my obsession with tornadoes. Most of them have seen and been through just as much as i have with them, but they choose not to think about it because it causes them to panic. The truth is that I think I am still terrified of these things somewhere deep down. I have seen first hand what tornadoes are capable of, growing up in the south Oklahoma City suburbs of Bridge Creek, and Moore. I have been chased by monster tornadoes on more than 3 occasions. The May 3rd 1999 tornado was a terrifying experience. Bridge Creek looked like mars after the twister went through. It took the grass... So to a kid with an already overactive imagination, the idea of this monster that could come out of nowhere and take your house and family away was very scary. But as i have gotten older, my almost irrational fear of these things has turned more into obsession. I am constantly thinking about tornadoes. Constantly waiting for the next one. I want to know as much as I can about them. I want to see them, and to be close to them. Its a defiance. Its me facing my fears, and in doing that I am not afraid. Being close to, and standing your ground against the thing you are most afraid of in this world is ultimate rush, and thats the truth. Last year i stood out in the middle of 19th st in Moore and watched the tornado coming straight at me. I wasnt panicked, I was angry. I wanted to chase it, and watch it die.

I chase tornadoes now because I am afraid of them, if that makes any sense lol

I am basically with you on my reasoning behind wanting to chase, except I have never seen an actual tornado. As a child, I would make myself ill with fear whenever there were storms. I remember trying so hard to go to sleep one night when I was about 8 years old, but I was absolutely petrified because I could hear really intense rain, wind, and thunder.

I can't begin to explain to anyone how hard it was for me to come as far as I have. To not let what was quite possibly a phobia, completely consume me. I am not sure exactly what made me decide to learn more about it and to turn my fear into a desire to learn about them, but somewhere along the line, it happened. I think one major thing that turned me on to wanting to chase was seeing the Twistex team zooming through Conway, Ar several years ago. It took me a few months to realize that it was them because they had just switched from the black truck, to the white one. I asked Tim Samaras about it on Facebook, and he confirmed that they were indeed, in Conway around that time (I even took a screen shot of his response, which I still have saved on my computer). When I saw them pass by, I wanted so much, to go with them. That was around 2010, I think. My interest has only grown since then.

I think each of you have very legitimate reasons for chasing. As long as it isn't for notoriety, I think most people have fairly honorable reasons for chasing.

I think what Donnie said closely reflects my own reasons to chase. I want to witness and photograph very rare meteorological events - tornadoes just happen to be the most scary of them. I will have the camera out for rainbows, sun dogs, lightning and aurora as well.

After a few minutes of talking with people about this, it becomes apparent that I love meteorology and photography, and that I don't wish harm on anyone or their property. In fact, I am a retired firefighter/paramedic and have spent half my life HELPING people in distress. I have never had a negative reaction from anyone I have talked with about my chase activities. I think most people are intrigued and would do it themselves if they had an opportunity and felt comfortable doing it. Who *doesn't* want to see a tornado in person?

At this point, between the fact I have zero tolerance for muggles and their 2-minute window of interest as well as the crappy reputation chasers have now, I never mention that I'm a chaser to anyone who doesn't already know. When someone does, I physically cringe.

Why I chase is something that no other person can understand. All they need to know is, just let me do it and leave me be. Otherwise I'll start killing people.

Back