Who Here Has A Weather Station At Home?

I remember trying to build my own weather station as a kid-but I didn't do too well. :roll: :p :D I was referencing a science text book given to me. I made an anemometer out of paper cups, a hanger, a cone, and stick. To measure humidity, I had a device that was built out of a milk carton, which used a human hair tied to a needle, with a tiny stick tied to the end of the needle. The stick was a marker, and the hair would expand or shrink depending on how humid it was. Expanding or shrinking would turn the needle, and the marker would point to whatever number indicated the humidity level.

:p

So-what kind of REAL gadgets do you folks have at home?

:)

I have everything installed on the roof of my house (raised three meters for a more accurate reading to due some trees nearby.) The hydrometer is homemade but I have neglected it. I keep the console in the bathroom. Essentially I use it for dewpoint and to see how cold it is in the winter. I would like to get one that broadcasts to the computer to use while stormchasing but would probably find it useless.

-Scott.

Originally posted by Scott Olson
I have everything installed on the roof of my house (raised three meters for a more accurate reading to due some trees nearby.) The hydrometer is homemade but I have neglected it. I keep the console in the bathroom. Essentially I use it for dewpoint and to see how cold it is in the winter. I would like to get one that broadcasts to the computer to use while stormchasing but would probably find it useless.

-Scott.

Here's a link for making your own hygrometer. It's similar in principle to what I made as a little boy.

8)

I have one of those decorative 3-gauge home weather stations in my room :lol: . The barometer is made to look like a ship's wheel.

Current conditions from my bedroom:

Temperature: 75 F

Pressure: 29.56"

Relative Humidity: 46%

:D

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle
I have one of those decorative 3-gauge home weather stations in my room :lol: . The barometer is made to look like a ship's wheel.

Current conditions from my bedroom:

Temperature: 75 F

Pressure: 29.56\"

Relative Humidity: 46%

:D

No kidding... I have the exact same one hanging in my room...

I also have a LaCrosse something or other weather station that's up on the roof, about 30ft above the ground. During the day, it really messes up the temperature, and I don't think the wind reading is quite right. Sometimes it seems too low, other times too high (like our last "Witch of November", I estimated a gust to be around 65MPH, the station reported 95MPH - way too high).

Davis Weather Wizard III up on the roof. Wind measurements seem accurate, but temp. readings are way off during the day. This could be improved by building an enclosure to shield solar radiation, but I'm too lazy. I would love to have the humidity sensor, but that was extra of course. Not a bad unit over all, its worked fine for 7 or so years.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro and love it! Wish I could get the Weatherlink software to work right so it could be on Weather Underground, but can't seem to get it to function correctly. I have had several try, no luck. $150 software, useless. :evil:

But I love the weather station! :D

I have this ancient single dial barometer made by Airguide back in the 50's. Not the most accurate, but it still works and for a quick glance, it's accurate enough.

Darn thing is made from Bakelite, not plastic and has a real glass dial cover.

I have a Davis Weather Monitor II Wireless station sitting at home in my garage. My parents got it for me for a holiday back in high school. I tried to rig up an on-vehicle instrument package, but it didn't work out very well. So, until I have a house, in the garage is where it'll sit.

Before that, my dad and I did put together an old Heathkit dial weather station (temperature, wind speed, wind direction, and pressure I believe). Since it was entirely analog (dials), I remember having to put my camcorder in front of the station and recording the dials when storms came through... I'd then review the tape to find the "max" wind gust that occurred. Ghetto...

I have a LaCrosse weatherstation. It seems to be pretty accurate. It's all wireless. The hardest part was figuring out a good place to mount the thermometer, so it was out of the sun, and yet still in a good spot to deliver a strong signal to the receiver. I ended up building a thermometer shelter, it works pretty well. My anemometer is mounted on a 21/2" diameter PVC pipe, about 26' above the ground.

I bought the Weather Display software for the computer. Everything is recorded. Even if there is a power outage, the receiver stores the data for a long time so nothing is missed.

The weatherstation information is uploaded every few minutes to it's own webpage in the link in my sig. 8)

I have a Oregon Sci. Wireless , works great. Have a shelter for temp. sensor and is very accu.. Send every thing to web page and APRS. Also on The NOAA feed through APRS. 8)

Traditional wet bulb thermo in stevenson screen,MeteormetricsUk Electronic baragraph-Have at least 3 months pressure readings taken every hour on on roll of print out gives Min,Max and average pressure summary at end of 24 hrs.La Crosse cabled rain Gauge - not currently set up was brought in the clean after some kind bird :twisted: decided it looked a good site to build a nest.
Looking at either a Davis or La Crosse to link to the PC but might go the other route and just buy a Dallas one Wire set up for the wind speed and direction.

Back