White Christmas in South Padre

How funny is this!

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PORT MANSFIELD...SOUTH PADRE ISLAND...
PORT ISABEL...LAGUNA VISTA...LAGUNA HEIGHTS
629 PM CST FRI DEC 24 2004
UPDATED
.REST OF TONIGHT...CLOUDY...WINDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF FREEZING
RAIN WITH RAIN AND LIGHT SLEET LIKELY MIXING WITH SNOW AFTER
MIDNIGHT THEN SNOW
AND LIGHT SLEET. LOWS AROUND 30. NORTH WINDS 25 TO
30 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT

I'm at my parents house near Sealy Texas (west of houston). I just got back from "spotting" in Wharton (~50 miles south) where they have accumulated 3.5 inches of snow with moderate snow still coming down.

This is a truly historical weather event. Snow all the way down to Brownsville is being reported (25N---about same latitude as miami florida!!). I'm going to get some pictures in the morning. Maybe I'll try to get some of snow cover on the south texas beach!

It was interesting seeing earlier this evening Monterrey Mexico put this in the remarks in one observation - "OCNL AGUANIEVE" (aguanieve is Spanish for sleet). They've also been reporting a mix of drizzle and snow there as well.

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
I wonder if they have ever had a white christmas.

In the Houston & texas coast area area it is the first measurable snow in 15 years but it is the 1st ever white christmas.

Check this out:

CHRISTMAS 2004 WILL BE LEGENDARY AS BROWNSVILLE HAS ACCUMULATED SNOW FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE FEBRUARY 1895. 1/2 INCH HAS ACCUMULATED AT THE OFFICE, WITH UNINSULATED FEATURES HAVING OVER 1 INCH. SPOTTERS IN THE WESTERN COUNTIES HAVE REPORTED 3 INCHES ACCUMULATED SO FAR.
MFE HAS REPORTED 3.5 INCHES. WINDS ALOFT HAVE TURNED TO NORTHEAST THROUGH 10KFT, FORCING THE ABOVE FREEZING POCKET JUST ABOVE GROUND OUT TO SEA. AT ANY RATE, THE WHOLE VALLEY WILL WAKE UP TO A NICE, IF EVER SO BRIEF, WHITE CHRISTMAS.

Truly an incredible storm!!

Back