What's a good webcam for dash streaming?

Anyone have any good experiences with a good webcam for chasing use? Or is there a such a beast? I'm looking for a USB webcam (or some other camera that can be powered by USB) that I can put in my dash to stream video. I tried a Phillips model I found at Sams Club, but it was a bit buggy and I returned it. Looking around, it seems most webcams are either autofocus or fixed focus -- I'd prefer a camera that I can manually focus to infinity. I've also noticed that some cams seem to have a problem with very bright scenes (the Phillips Cam sure did) -- so if anyone has any experience with a webcam that can handle typical daylight dashcam scenes, that'd be optimal. Also, it'd be nice if there were some function for zooming in or if at the very least the camera wasn't super wide angle; the Phillips cam was so wide-angle it would have made a wedge a half mile away look like a dot on the horizon! :)

I use a Logitec Orbit with acceptable results when zoomed to wide. I can control its position and brightness/contrast from the computer. It leaves a lot to be desired when zoomed in tight. It also has the Carl Zeiss lens.

I have it dash mounted with Velcro and consider it good enough for what I do. I am not trying to sell anything, just furnish Fort Worth with live shots...

I am considering one of the new Sony's for quality recording although I am into 'still' photography more...

Back