• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

What to look for when chasing hurricanes?

I hope it's okay to ask here, but as a novice to storm chasing, I was wondering what the seasoned chasers look for when chasing a hurricane. Perhaps it's different for each person, but I'd love to hear what your goals are. What kind of information or footage are you hoping to capture?

If I was ever to go see one....
Part of it would be for the pictures/video!
But a big part would also be the experience...to see/hear/feel the raw power of that massive wind and rain.

-----
There is a part (I guess you could say the crazy side .lol. ) of me that would absolutely love to do it - especially a 'big one', cat 4/5...
...but there's also the 'sane side' that wouldn't want to for reasons like what's listed on @cdcollura 's link.
(that and ofcourse the fact I'm a long, long way from hurricane-prone areas)

If I was ever to go see one....
Part of it would be for the pictures/video!
But a big part would also be the experience...to see/hear/feel the raw power of that massive wind and rain.

-----
There is a part (I guess you could say the crazy side .lol. ) of me that would absolutely love to do it - especially a 'big one', cat 4/5...
...but there's also the 'sane side' that wouldn't want to for reasons like what's listed on @cdcollura 's link.
(that and ofcourse the fact I'm a long, long way from hurricane-prone areas)
Looking at both links in this thread, I agree. Not only is there some great information from @cdcollura, but that link of Doug Kiesling's story (a fellow Minnesotan) is also pretty amazing. There's a lot there to absorb.

Back