What is your ultimate 'shot' that keeps you coming back?

At it's fullest...wasn't really noticeable as a tornado, just a mass of debris crossing the horizon.

Without sounding like a jerk. How do you know this ? I thought it was dark thirty ? Every piece of information I found said it was dark. If you know something other than the info posted online, please share.

A perfectly stitched panoramic with a tornado drilling away and a beautifully striated meso above it is one shot I do want to get someday.

Tornado with a full setting sun next to it.

When I got my sunset shot earlier this year near Spearman, I was so awestruck about what I was looking at it didn't hit me until hours later when I went back through my pics. I couldn't believe the shot I got that day.

4637346955_4fdd3e35f1.jpg

Without sounding like a jerk. How do you know this ? I thought it was dark thirty ? Every piece of information I found said it was dark. If you know something other than the info posted online, please share.
A few chasers including myself still had some tiny bit of back lighting. But yes, it was dark, but not full night yet. Other than myself (riding with Jeff Gammons & Chris Collura) I believe Amos Magliocco, Doug Kiesling had the same visual perspective. I also want to say Bill Hark, and the twister sisters were approx. in the same area (saw them shortly after in Beatrice after we all tucked tail and ran south for safety). I do remember seeing the motion of the tornado or debris cloud. I think Jeff got a much better vantage of that. I was doing the navigation on that day's chase, so my task kept me busy.

I'm sure if during the early afternoon time frame it would have been more visible, but not by much. I remember at the time us debating if we were seeing a tornado...it looked more like the meso just reached the ground.:eek:

To get one of these monster 2+ mile wide deals may be a loosing battle to some degree. Get close enough to get a decent shot...and you are in danger, get back far enough for safety, and you loose enough detail to make out the tornado itself. I've only had the one experience, so I'm far from an expert on it though. It would be a great capture if you could get it.

Tornado in a wind farm

I can't agree more Ben. Every time I drive by one I just want to see it shredded by a tornado having the blades flying around would be awesome to see. I imagine the blade assembly as a whole coming off and flying around like a Ninja star.

A tornado hitting a flying saucer carrying Elvis.

No, Actually my ultimate shot is video. Time lapse of a supercell starting from blue sky to mature supercell starting far enough away to see structure then ending with a tornado passing right by the camera.

I have many shots I would like but when I read the persons post about a wind farm, it reminded me of a shot I would love to have. Not to mention the marketing capabilities if you get this shot haha.

Off I-40 in The panhandle in TX, there is a gigantic cross with a church in the base I believe. Getting that in the foreground and a elephant trunk in the background would be THE SHOT! I dont think I am going to sit around and wait on it though.

Mike Hollingshead's pictures are what I look forward to capturing. I tell myself I hope I see some dramatic stuff like he has in my career

What keeps me interested and wanting to come back to the plains...being able to SEE the storms! Rainwrapped, HP/LP, I don't care...just let me get my visual, video and photos without pine trees or mountains/hills blocking my view. That will keep me a happy girl.

I'd like to finally see an LP supercell in the badlands or somewhere in the High Plains. I'm complacent from all the HP stuff. But I think the shot that really is my dream shot is an HP supercell with a mothership mesocyclone. Have the greenish tint to the rain in the meso with the pronounced striations.

Back