What is the worst storm in history by fatalies?

MatthewCarman

I did do a search here at storm track before posting this. I was searching through Wikipedia trying to find the Great New Hampshire Tornado outbreak of 1821 (it is referenced but not in the wiki) and stumbled across a historic event that happened in Great Britain that I thought was very interesting.

Taken from Wikipedia:

"The Great Storm of 1703 was the most severe storm or natural disaster ever recorded in the southern part of Great Britain.[1] It affected southern England and the English Channel in the Kingdom of Great Britain. A 120-mph (193-km/h) "perfect hurricane", it started on 24 November, and did not die down until 2 December 1703 (Old Style).
Observers at the time recorded barometric readings as low as 973 millibars (measured by William Derham in South Essex),[2] but it has been suggested that the storm may have deepened to 950 millibars over the Midlands. Between 8,000 - 15,000 lives were lost overall."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1703

I think the above storm was a Hurricane. 8,000+ people died. I am wondering what is the worst storm (Hurricane, Snowstorm etc) in recorded history for the world or the US by fatalities? Any sites with info would be apreciated. If no one can answer my question I will search google again.

The Bhola Cyclone of 1970 was reported to have killed between 300,000 and 1,000,000 people depending on the source.

Yeah, I think that stands out as the most deadly tropical cyclone in recorded history. I can't imagine any other type of weather event having even the potential for death on such a scale.

To make matters worse, it occured during a general humanitarian disaster associated with the social and political strife in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh.) About a year later, George Harrison along with several other great musicians of the day performed a relief effort "The Concert for Bangladesh" which was a significant artistic event in its own right.

Here is a link to a clip from the concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tFA...985CC11F0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Back