What is the strangest storm you have been under ?

:D

Not talking about intensity or other, just the absolutely strangest for your personal opinion.

Mine is here below. Wuhan, central China, July 16th 2002. The max temp of the day was 40C with dews around 30C in most part of the city. Here's the sounding:

17314.gif

What has been absolutely incredible was the """"heat"""" feeling preceeding the storm. Guess the heat index was nearly 60C. The rain and the wind were hot, never experienced something like that before.

:wink:

Probably would be the Aurora, NE storm that dropped the world-record hailball. I approached that storm from the south, looked at it, and decided not to enter it. I can't really describe why -- the storm just looked like something that no sane person would drive into. You could see the inflow tail on that thing forming and drawing into the storm before your eyes -- it was happening so fast it was like watching timelapse. The sun was setting and the whole world turned black as you looked into the storm. Most frightening thing I've ever seen out chasing (and that includes getting cored by softballs); wish I'd had my camera along.

Originally posted by Ryan McGinnis
Probably would be the Aurora, NE storm that dropped the world-record hailball. I approached that storm from the south, looked at it, and decided not to enter it. I can't really describe why -- the storm just looked like something that no sane person would drive into. You could see the inflow tail on that thing forming and drawing into the storm before your eyes -- it was happening so fast it was like watching timelapse. The sun was setting and the whole world turned black as you looked into the storm. Most frightening thing I've ever seen out chasing (and that includes getting cored by softballs); wish I'd had my camera along.

:shock: So you were under that storm !! I read a lot about that and also wrote an article in Italy. Fantastic story... :shock:

Strange storm? Probably this one in Woodward, Oklahoma (near the Oklahoma panhandle):
stromwoodwardmeso1xd.jpg

...mostly because he was such a greenie! This picture is real...as close as the film can approximate. It was like a giant margarita 8)

The other funny thing about it was that in order to shoot it I had to ask this gentleman's permission to drive to the back of his property (where he was storing trucks). He looked at me oddly and said..."Why? Is there something going on?" I pointed up, and he came out of his shed and looked up and got quite a look on his face...the meso had passed right over him while he was working and he had no idea!

For me a strange episode was in July last year. A storm on Alps was moving from west to east, 40 miles north of my town. I thought "Ok, It's not for me".... suddenly storm changed in to a LP supercell and moved from North to South with a 90 degrees direction changing!!!
I thought: "Ok, it's for me" 8)
Here a collage of 7 pictures taken from the video... It was a beautiful cell in the clear sky after the sunset.
Ciao
Luca

supercell.jpg

Wow...........! :shock: I was in the last ECSS2004 (European Conference on Severe Storms) celebrated in Leon (Spain) and some Italian Meteorologists explained some papers about Supercells on Italy and, after your photo, Luca, I can see your area is really interesting for Severe Storms Develompment.

Yes, my area it's very interesting about strong storms. In the last 35 years, considering the southern part of Cremona province and the northern part of the Parma province we had about 20-25 tornadoes in a small area of 600Km2.
Most of them are weak tornadoes, F0 to F2. In 1965 a terrible F5 destroyed Sissa village; now there is a restaurant called "Al Tornado".. 8)
Ciao
Luca

Originally posted by Luca Ronca
Yes, my area it's very interesting about strong storms. In the last 35 years, considering the southern part of Cremona province and the northern part of the Parma province we had about 20-25 tornadoes in a small area of 600Km2.
Most of them are weak tornadoes, F0 to F2. In 1965 a terrible F5 destroyed Sissa village; now there is a restaurant called \"Al Tornado\".. 8)
Ciao
Luca

Aha, very interesting. Thanks for your explanation, Luca :)

This picture is assebled from 7 images; the video is great, you can see all the lightnings and see how wide is the storm. I'll have to reduce the video size and post it on the web. The left side of the storm is pointing WSW, the right side of the shelf cloud is NNE !!!!
Ciao
Luca

Back