Were you afraid of thunder?

Thomas Loades

(Probabaly should've made this a poll, but I'm largely computer-illiterate. :oops: )

Anyway: I used to be utterly terrified of thunder when I was really young (ca. age 2–7), to the point where, at the most distant, non-loud rumble of thunder, I would cover my ears and wait for the storm to go. It used to be really scary at night for no real reason — just was. It would always wake me up, and no pillow or anything to plug the ears would dampen the noise.

Now, it's different . . . I'm not scared at all. Maybe I outgrew it, or something. But I still jump at the REALLY loud (close) ones — they tend to make the walls of my house vibrate.

That said, when I was four — the peak of the scared period — there was this awesome storm that came over the house we lived in at the time (not in the inexplicable weather void our present one is in); the clouds were green, and I'll never forget that, or the hail, which is still the largest I've ever seen — golf-ball size. (I wanted to run out and catch them, and my mother had to restrain me.) I was so utterly entranced by the hail and clouds that while I remember all the clamor the stones maade falling on the sheet-metal carport, I didn't hear the thunder at all (though it was there).

Childhood experience

This reminded me of when I was a kid growing up (my childhood years), I used to sit by my bedroom window late at night and watch the sky for lightning during storms. I'm hearing-impaired and because it was way past my bedtime, I had taken my hearing aids off.

When I see a lightning flash close by, I would place my hand on the window pane so that I can feel the "rumble" of the thunder as it passes by. Sometimes there would be a bright flash and I didn't need to feel the glass, I felt the "rumble" in my body. This early fascination with storms probably what led me to my current interest in storm chasing.

Another incident that I remembered was when I was coming home from a afternoon in the farm fields. I was helping my dad in disking a wheat field in the summer. We were interrupted late in the afternoon by storms that seems to be popping up all around us. On my way home I ran into heavy downpours. Even though I had a cab on the tractor, the rain was being blown thru the cab's open windows and into my face. I stopped at one point to take my aids off and put them in my pants pockets to keep them from getting wet.

I was about 1/4 mile from home, when out of the corner of my eye, there was a bright flash. I looked over to my right and I saw the lingering traces of where the lightning bolt was. About that same instant, I heard and felt the "rumble". Actually it was more like a "Boom". :shock: I was amazed that I was able to hear that thunder even though I was, in clinical terms, "profoundly deaf". That means that thunder had to be over 100 decibels in sound level in order for me to hear that boom. :shock:

Sorry this turned out longer that I had anticipated. Makes good reading, right?? :lol:

When I was about 3-4 years old I can remember being scared of thunder. One evening there was a bad storm in Amarillo where we were living and I got up because of the thunder and my dad explained to me what thunder was and why it rolled the way it did. After that evening I was never scared of thunder again. I have never been afraid of lightning, even as a child I was fascinated by the sight of it. I have had lightning strike REAL close before, to the point where it locked my jaw muscles and left a copper-like taste in my mouth but I still enjoy lightning very much.

Depends on how close it is... If its constant, and close enough that the thunder follows immediately after the flash, then I get alot more cautious. If its distant (about 5-10 seconds between flash and thunder), I will stand out and watch it (unless its pouring down rain of course).

I remeber being scared during at least one storm when I was very young 3 or 4, I think because it caused other problems. Other than that I haven't been scared since, and rather enjoy the noise!

Originally posted by Jenifer Henslee
I remeber being scared during at least one storm when I was very young 3 or 4, I think because it caused other problems. Other than that I haven't been scared since, and rather enjoy the noise!

The loud the better IMO... Its just the actual "bolt" that startles me, cause its so fast, and you don't know where the next strike will be...

Yep, the louder, the better :) !! I love the house shakers and the "ridge rumblers" (For those who do not know, ridge rumblers occur when thunder starts in one end of the valley, and is "trapped" in the valley until it gets to the other end. 'Tis a really cool sound effect :D !!).
Anybody besides me do some of your best sleeping when there's a nighttime storm in progress?
Angie

No.. I have to watch it. I cannot stay in bed during a storm so I usually get no sleep during night time storms.

Back