Weboost vs Max mobile (Maximum Signal) Test

I finally got to test these two amps side by side. I did just a real quick video that proves the gains. I'll sum it up and mention a couple other things that I didn't mention in the video as it is cold out and also was trying to keep it short in general. The WeBoost 4gx that I have has a metal case. The new design that I seen online, I can't tell. And mine isn't that old, so not sure why it's changed. The max amp is plastic. Both get warm. I keep a fan on the WeBoost. Neither one will burn you. I'm just anal about that stuff. The WeBoosts antenna and patch antenna isn't as high quality as the Max amp. If you're switching vehicles alot, that might come into play. I traveled nearly 200 miles to 3 different spots that normally at least put me into 3g, but no luck. And I'm near a couple of natinal forest areas. Both amps increase data speeds. I really wanted a true dead zone that one or the other wouldn't work in. But, I'll comment at another time when I have a friend with AT&T or something else besides Verizon. The price is a little cheaper with the WeBoost, but when you're talking 5-600 dollars, that's not really a whole lot. In my opinion, it really just comes down to the quality and who you like. I'll be the first to admit that I was really expecting the Max amp not to perform as claimed. I've had good success with the old direct connects but not the old wireless ones. Just me personally. Speed tests was really finicky. So much so that I didn't feel the need to video it. Every test is diferent. Even different days in the same spots. I really want to see which one will win in a dead zone. And even then, is a mile or so a big deal? Maybe. To some. Biggest thing is that I'm glad it's finally available. That's what got me upset the most in the past. We got storms to chase. Lol.

Thank you for your review james . Just a reminder the coupon code Stormtrack gets you a $50 dollar discount on the system James tested till New Years.

So I scanned the video again quickly. So is the conclusion that Max Signal has a better gain on signal but WeBoost wins on data improvement?

So I scanned the video again quickly. So is the conclusion that Max Signal has a better gain on signal but WeBoost wins on data improvement?

Questionable . Speeds are variable on many things . I had my head engineer watch the video . He feels the antenna being so close to the device adversely effected the speeds . I hope James can test the speeds again at a later date when he has time if that makes a difference to him . All our testing has shown performance is actually optimum with the antenna 3 to 6 feet from the devices. I am glad our db gain showed so much better . Around 20 DB . Every 3 DB gain is double your signal. So a gain of 18 additional db means your signal is 64 times stronger . I really appreciate the time James took to test our unit and document his findings . I am looking to his testing in an an area where his devices sees no signal. We take great pride in the signal sensitivity . As our amp actually senses a signal at -127 and makes it useable. Your device stops seeing any signal between -113 and -116.

Well two things I need to add. Most importantly, I was able to get into a dead zone on Att. The Weboost got me a signal, but not LTE. The Max amp got me LTE. And 3 bars of it. Now I hate to reference bars, but there's no way to know the exact gain since you can't go less than "no signal" db. So that's promising. There was only approximately a mile and half to the center of the dead area. I wish I had a single tower that I could just keep driving away from and say I got x amount miles away from and give the results. Another thing is Gordon gave me his new smaller antenna and the frequency range is more confined to what we actually use. He can explain that alot better if needed. I'm usually not about looks, but wow is it sweet looking. And you could be more incognito with it, being smaller. I consistently get t 2 extra db with it. I could put this thing up on the wall and stare at it. It's that great looking. It's heavy and just pure quality. And the graphics is very nicely done. I'm not sure if it's etched in or what. My picture doesn't do it justice. If you insist on the Weboost, I'd still recommend this antenna, if you can get what you need to make it fit.

Attachments

• TMPDOODLE1482602530885.jpg
    TMPDOODLE1482602530885.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1
Well two things I need to add. Most importantly, I was able to get into a dead zone on Att. The Weboost got me a signal, but not LTE. The Max amp got me LTE. And 3 bars of it. Now I hate to reference bars, but there's no way to know the exact gain since you can't go less than "no signal" db. So that's promising. There was only approximately a mile and half to the center of the dead area. I wish I had a single tower that I could just keep driving away from and say I got x amount miles away from and give the results. Another thing is Gordon gave me his new smaller antenna and the frequency range is more confined to what we actually use. He can explain that alot better if needed. I'm usually not about looks, but wow is it sweet looking. And you could be more incognito with it, being smaller. I consistently get t 2 extra db with it. I could put this thing up on the wall and stare at it. It's that great looking. It's heavy and just pure quality. And the graphics is very nicely done. I'm not sure if it's etched in or what. My picture doesn't do it justice. If you insist on the Weboost, I'd still recommend this antenna, if you can get what you need to make it fit.

The new antenna is not for sale yet . It is a prototype . We have been developing this antenna for almost 3 years . it is going to be called the Supermaxx . It will come in a clamp mount or a Mag mount . The ground plane is built in, so performance of the mag mount will not depend on a ground plane. When available it will be $69.95 . Just have to get the financing to do a production run now!... Now that the performance issues of our amplifier compared to the WeBoost amplifier are settled . The $50 coupon code for stormtrack members is available till new years eve. Easy to remember as it is stormtrack. Merry Christmas , Happy Hanukkah to everyone and Happy Holidays. May your holidays be safe and happy.

I put a new package together called the Truck and Trailer package for RVer's . It includes 2 sets of antennas so it can easily moved from Truck to RV . If a storm Chaser is interested I can modify to include 2 sets of vehicle antennas to make it easier to move from on Chase vehicle to another. Also got my new power supplies in that do 12 volt and 100 volt in 1 adapter.

A valid test would require speed tests from multiple locations. Particularly upstream bandwidth if you're interested in streaming. Received signal strength doesn't necessarily translate into speed, latency, or network availability improvements. It says nothing of the tower's ability to hear you. Also (for direct connect) you'll get RF loss testing through an amp that's powered down so that will invalidate any test results if you're chaining them or comparing powered on vs off.

Both James and Steve have tested our equipment in multiple locations . Steve has tested in travels across the country and James made a point of even testing in an area with no signal in 4G at all and our equipment got him a usable 4G signal If you go to RV network.com . There are members there that report their results from around the country. You can question them directly on their testing..

We have gone wireless in all our equipment for a few reasons. 1- It is nearly impossible to find a phone anymore with an RF port , 2 - Most folks want a device that works on multiple devices 3 - With all the new FCC regulations it is no cheaper to build a direct connect amplifier than a wireless.

Last edited:
Posted today in the Escapee Forums. By Jack Mayer. Who is one of the Top tech experts in RV Community,

Posted Today, 08:05 AM
User Experience. Consider this somewhat anecdotal.

I'm currently in SE KS out in the "hinterlands". Without assistance there is only 3G data here, and the phone barely works. That is a good phone (Note 5). Lesser phones do not work at all.

I set up the Mobile amp as a "house" amp (I'm staying in a house). The 13" mag mount antenna in a window on the "tower side" (on a pizza plate). The Super maxx is on top of the kitchen refrigerator at the front edge. That gives me an average of 18 dbi of gain. It takes data speeds from 2 kbps (note the K) on 3G to an average of 3.8 MBPS. That is not screaming, but the tower is deficient to start with, since speeds near it are only around 5-6 MBPS.

Why do I only see so little gain? The way these amps work, after hundreds of tests, is that the gain bounces. It will crank the gain up, and then adjust it down until the connection is solid. Or at least that seems to be the way it works, empirically. The weBoost -M with its provided antennas averages speeds of 1.85 MBPS. So I'd say the the Maxamp handily outperforms the weBoost in THIS set of circumstances, which I would call "challenging". To be fair, I have seen the weBoost outperform the Max in other circumstances. Mostly when it is closer to the towers. Id say the Max performs best when really challenged

20170118_111025.jpg I finally got around to opening my package earlier this week in order to take a look at things. I'm curious as to why a brand new retail unit would have tool marks on it?

They are injection molded cases . That is where they snap out of the molds . Every case has those marks . You unit is brand new Mark . As anyone else that has the amplifier if they have those marks.

Back