Weather Myth-busters

Have any weather myths ?

Have you ever heard an old farmers weather tale and wondered if there was any fact behind it? Well, if you have. Here is the place to post and ask the professionals. Ill start off with a few common myths. There are lots of them out there. The goal is to determine whether the myth is confirmed, plausible or busted.

Okay! Lets get started guys! ! !

MYTH 1 - Lightning never strikes twice in the same place: BUSTED!

Lightning sometimes does strike the same place twice. Infact, its not uncommon for the stepped-leader of the lightning to hit and create the groundwork for multiple return strokes on the same bolt charge-path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCdfSl-5o8

MYTH 2 - When you can see the underside of the trees leaves, a storm is brewing: PLAUSIBLE!

This myth is certainly plausible, but is not a rule of thumb. Often times, a thunderstorms gust-front can advance ahead of the storm and create relatively strong surface winds just ahead of the storm. The storms advancing cold-pool can blow the leaves of the trees around so you see the underside of them. While it is sometimes common, this is not the only case. The only thing that is needed to see the underside of a trees leaves is a good gust of wind, so it is PLAUSIBLE.

Here is an example of trees blowing around with no storms.

MYTH 3 - When the rain stops and you see large hail, a tornado is immienent: PLAUSIBLE!

The myth is plausible. Most large hail is kept closest to the strongest portion of the storms updraft and is closer to the updraft-downdraft interface. That is typically where you would find to higher chance of finding a tornado. More often then not with tornadic supercells, large hail does fall prior to the tornado but this is not a rule of thumb. Especially in the case of low-topped storms, or storms with weak updraft intensities.

MYTH 4 - Tornadoes jump metro-areas, rivers and valleys: BUSTED!

Tornadoes do not jump over rivers. In some cases, low-level moisture can actually increase downwind of a large body of water and aid in the quality of moisture being ingested into the storms updraft. Tornadoes also can form in mountainous areas with large peaks and valleys. This is a storm in the sequoia mountains. The tornado was probably 12,000FT above sea-level and had hailstones falling at the same time. Metro-areas are not immune to tornadoes either. Salt Lake City, UT Oklahoma City, OK and Fort Worth, TX have all been hit by tornadoes.

MYTH 5 - Highway overpasses are safe places to be during tornadoes: BUSTED!

It has been clinically proven by leading scientists that overpasses are not areas of preferred shelter during tornadic storms. Winds are often funnelled through the crevaces of the overpass and can sometimes increase in power and pull you out. Also, some overpasses have different constructions in place that may not allow for a place to 'hold-on'.

There are other weather myths out there, alot of local and regional myths too. Hopefully some of you guys will take a stab at them. Might be an enjoyable activity for the downtime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather Myths

I heard it from one of my relatives back in Nebraska long ago that in times of severe and potentially tornadic weather that you should keep a cat on your lap. If the cat suddenly bolts off of your lap and hides...you should head for the cellar!

I heard it from one of my relatives back in Nebraska long ago that in times of severe and potentially tornadic weather that you should keep a cat on your lap. If the cat suddenly bolts off of your lap and hides...you should head for the cellar!

I prefer to throw the cat outside, into the air. If the cat does not return to the ground you should head for the cellar! Also, keep the cat tethered for repeated tests.

Bear-Bear Weather Forcaster!!

I have a dog named "Bear-Bear" that would make a great weather forcaster. When storms are in the area and rain is imminent, he gets the "shakes"!! :eek:

Then went the rain hits and the winds start blowing, he seeks out any available lap to hide in and does a lot of "panting". Only when the storm has passed does he relax and fall asleep in your lap. :)

In rare cases, where no laps are available, he actually go downstairs to hide either in the laundry room or the basement bedroom.

I would think if we had an actual tornado heading our way, he would run down the steps like a flash!! :eek:

Have any weather myths ?

MYTH 2 - When you can see the underside of the trees leaves, a storm is brewing: PLAUSIBLE!

This myth is certainly plausible, but is not a rule of thumb. Often times, a thunderstorms gust-front can advance ahead of the storm and create relatively strong surface winds just ahead of the storm. The storms advancing cold-pool can blow the leaves of the trees around so you see the underside of them. While it is sometimes common, this is not the only case. The only thing that is needed to see the underside of a trees leaves is a good gust of wind, so it is PLAUSIBLE.

I think this is BUSTED. I just went outside and stood under a tree and saw the underneath side of the leaves and the sky was blue.

I think this is BUSTED. I just went outside and stood under a tree and saw the underneath side of the leaves and the sky was blue.

LOL...boy, my old Indian grandmother would give you such a smack :rolleyes: ;) That's not what it means :p

If you look across the yard (or field) and the tree leaves are turned upside down, you can expect it to rain. It only works on certain trees, and don't ask me which trees, cause I don't know the names :) It's a tree that has fairly small leaves (doesn't work on big leaves like maples, oaks, or sycamores).

Speaking of critters predicting storms, we had this cat by the name of Flop Ear, who wasn't quite right (everybody who is from the South knows what I mean). One afternoon, Flop Ear came running from the far side of our subdivision, gave me a look that said "If you knew what was coming, you'd get the H out of Dodge too", ran behind the water heater in the utility room, and would not come out. About 2 hours later, an F3 missed our subdivision by about 500 feet. She had never acted like that before any other storm, and never acted like that again. My current cats run to get me to let them out so they can sit on our balcony during storms.

Tell Grandma I was only kidding. My Mom has told us that story for the last 40 something years. She has actually pointed it out before and it does rain shortly afterward.
The animal thing I thoroughly believe in. Most all my dogs have acted strange before storms arrive. My last one, bless his heart, would usually have a seizure within about 6 - 8 hours of a major storm or front coming through.

Animals tend to freak out in response to thunder. My guess is they can hear or feel the low frequency noise of thunder from an approaching storm, long before we can. We one upped them with doppler radar though.

Animals tend to freak out in response to thunder. My guess is they can hear or feel the low frequency noise of thunder from an approaching storm, long before we can. We one upped them with doppler radar though.

As an anecdotal example, I have five cats. Minnie and April, the two oldest, are okay with thunder. Minnie tends to become anxious when our town's siren is activated. April, just goes to the basement and won't show for an hour or so.

Back