Waterspout Sinks "Super Yacht" in Italy

The article linked below is the most detailed I have seen. It may have been a downburst rather than a waterspout, but either way, it raises a lot of questions because apparently severe weather that night was well-forecasted.

šŸ¤” Prepare much?
From the above article: "Before the (forecasted) storm, the captain should have closed every opening, lifted anchor, turned on the engine, pointed into the wind and lowered the keel...a large, fin-like part of the boat that protrudes from its base...that would have stabilized the vessel."
The mast also broke about a third of the way down from the top and aided tilting & sinking. Litigation will likely follow a negligent captain.

The article linked below is the most detailed I have seen. It may have been a downburst rather than a waterspout, but either way, it raises a lot of questions because apparently severe weather that night was well-forecasted.
I was wondering about this. How did they determine it was tornado right away? It was dark, so unless there was decent amount of lightning, it would hard to spot. And really, looking the yacht's mast, you do *not* need tornadic winds to cause issues here! The large surface area and esp. the height make this yacht looks quite vulnerable to the elements. The wind shear alone from the base to the top of the mast was likely enormous!

Also, too often a tornado get blamed for straight-line wind events b/c tornadoes are still frequently (and erroneously) labeled "acts of God" and "not forecastable" (unlike squall lines or high synoptic gradient winds/gusts). It is a way for individuals or organizations involved to weasel their way out of blame or accountability I have found.

I was wondering about this. How did they determine it was tornado right away?
It would seem to be relatively easy to determine a tornado since this, and other, boats were anchored well off-shore. If the boats were moved in a cyclonic fashion = tornado. Italy has a quality national weather service.

One thing I have wondered about was whether there was any radar velocity data available for that area at the time of the incident. I don't know whether such data exists, but have not seen any. I would think that might be helpful in assessing waterspout vs. downburst.

Back