Wanted: Wide Angle Lens for Full Frame Nikon

All, thinking of investing in some new glass for my Nikon D750 and I'd like it to be a wide angle lens. I currently have the Tamron 10-24mm that I use with my D5300, but it's a DX lens, not a full frame. I'd like to get something with a similar range for my D750. I know a few of you are full-frame users, so I'd like to see what you're using. I do have a budget, but pretend I don't so I can look in detail at what's offered and go from there.

Many thanks all!

I've been on Nikon FF since 2014. Up until last year, I used a Rokinon 14/2.8 for the extreme wide end, alongside a Nikon 18-35G for the standard wide range. The Rokinon is a fantastic value at $250-300 new, but comes with a big caveat: their QC is not up to first party standards. Like, not even close. I had to return two copies before receiving one that wasn't decentered (i.e., the left edge's focus point would be noticeably closer than the right, or vice-versa). If you can get a good copy, it will have you covered for any structure shot you could want, and is sharp almost to the corners at f/5.6. Even though my Nikon 18-35G had slightly better color/contrast and was lighter in weight, I didn't find myself using it all that often when 14 mm was an option.

Last year, I moved to the infamous Nikon 14-24G, which is neither cheap nor ergonomic. Its IQ is pretty much unmatched for a zoom covering that range, though. Although it goes for $1700-2000 new, I was pretty easily able to find one used in great shape for $900. My thought is that if you buy used at such a discount, it's almost like a rental, in that you'll be able to sell it later for only a small loss (if any).

Between the two wide-angle setups I've chased with, I'd recommend the 14-24G, so long as you can deal with the weight and bulk. The main reason is to have a single lens covering the entire "structure range" so that you never miss shots swapping back and forth, a situation that plagued me on a few occasions.

I've been on Nikon FF since 2014. Up until last year, I used a Rokinon 14/2.8 for the extreme wide end, alongside a Nikon 18-35G for the standard wide range. The Rokinon is a fantastic value at $250-300 new, but comes with a big caveat: their QC is not up to first party standards. Like, not even close. I had to return two copies before receiving one that wasn't decentered (i.e., the left edge's focus point would be noticeably closer than the right, or vice-versa). If you can get a good copy, it will have you covered for any structure shot you could want, and is sharp almost to the corners at f/5.6. Even though my Nikon 18-35G had slightly better color/contrast and was lighter in weight, I didn't find myself using it all that often when 14 mm was an option.

Last year, I moved to the infamous Nikon 14-24G, which is neither cheap nor ergonomic. Its IQ is pretty much unmatched for a zoom covering that range, though. Although it goes for $1700-2000 new, I was pretty easily able to find one used in great shape for $900. My thought is that if you buy used at such a discount, it's almost like a rental, in that you'll be able to sell it later for only a small loss (if any).

Between the two wide-angle setups I've chased with, I'd recommend the 14-24G, so long as you can deal with the weight and bulk. The main reason is to have a single lens covering the entire "structure range" so that you never miss shots swapping back and forth, a situation that plagued me on a few occasions.

Thanks for this... I'm seeing this lens listed at $1600 new, but refurb around $1250... and yes, I love the idea of having a zoom range (I love my Tamron lens for this reason) so I don't have to change out lenses for wider shots. That would definitely be on the higher end of my budget range, but may be worth stuffing some money aside for (maybe to have for next season). I'd settle on a refurb for sure and probably be okay with that given my usage history. I would LOVE to do some lightning photography with this lens. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Tony, I've been using the Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G lens for wide angle storm shots, lightning and night sky. I'm pleased at the results. The lens is also light. I hate lugging bulky lenses. The price is also reasonable. I've seen mid 500s for refurbs. There is a older D version that I've heard is not quite as good.

So I took the plunge and went with a refurb'd Nikkor 14-24mm... it arrived Tuesday and I gave it its first shake down Friday morning and I'd say it paid for itself (not literally) immediately with the incredible set of lightning crawlers I shot that night (I combined for nearly 3 hours of shooting in a couple spots). I posted a couple images in the lightning thread. I wish I had done this years ago... the quality of these pictures verses what I would've had using my D5300 with the Tamrom lens is no comparison. The noise was hardly noticeable, the images were SHARP, and I just LOVE it! I even had this lens on during the day, so it was the workhorse for that eastern Kansas chase (I changed it out briefly once for a tighter shot on storm features).

I LOVE that I can bring it in to 24mm, which may not seem like much, but it offers that ability to put a little zoom on things. It really was the dream lens. I spent the money on it, for sure, but it is already worth it to me. I think I would've settled for anything else, and I feel like this will open up a whole new world of photography for me, especially in lightning which is really my favorite aspect of chasing behind the tornadoes.

Thank you for the suggestions, folks! :)

Back