Walmart Car Batteries

You guys have seen me recommend getting their chase vehicle batteries at Walmart for the sheer ease of exchange in the event of a problem.

Today was a perfect example. Most of you know I run a dual battery system in my chase van. The last few weeks I have had problems with coming out to dead batteries every few days.

Today I finally yanked out both batteries and took them down to Walmart. They are both the higher end batteries they sell, the yellow ones with the 3 yr free replacement warranty. One was older and purchased in SEPT 2000, the other was newer and purchased JULY 2005.

I was suspicious of the older one but went to have them both checked. They put it on their little machine to satisfy their curiosity, both of them said charge and retest. Of course, the proper thing to do is get a full charge on them and test them again. I am pretty sure the newer battery was ok, but they guy found out I was using it on a dual battery setup and he said, you need to go ahead and replace them both, the bad one will make the good one go bad too, and got two new batteries out.

I got a FULL replacement on the newer one, and had to pay partial for the older one's replacement. I am now sporting two BRAND NEW 800 cranking amp batteries for only $41.00 out of pocket, would have been $140 out of pocket. This was a small town Walmart too, not the big stores.

I love my Walmart batteries! :D

Originally posted by David Drummond
You guys have seen me recommend getting their chase vehicle batteries at Walmart for the sheer ease of exchange in the event of a problem.

Today was a perfect example. Most of you know I run a dual battery system in my chase van. The last few weeks I have had problems with coming out to dead batteries every few days.

Today I finally yanked out both batteries and took them down to Walmart. They are both the higher end batteries they sell, the yellow ones with the 3 yr free replacement warranty. One was older and purchased in SEPT 2000, the other was newer and purchased JULY 2005.

I was suspicious of the older one but went to have them both checked. They put it on their little machine to satisfy their curiosity, both of them said charge and retest. Of course, the proper thing to do is get a full charge on them and test them again. I am pretty sure the newer battery was ok, but they guy found out I was using it on a dual battery setup and he said, you need to go ahead and replace them both, the bad one will make the good one go bad too, and got two new batteries out.

I got a FULL replacement on the newer one, and had to pay partial for the older one's replacement. I am now sporting two BRAND NEW 800 cranking amp batteries for only $41.00 out of pocket, would have been $140 out of pocket. This was a small town Walmart too, not the big stores.

I love my Walmart batteries! :D

Non-related to batteries, but Wal-Mart's automotive department instead. Same thing goes for tires; 8 dollars extra a tire, you get the replacement plan. They calculate the tread and determine the pro-rated figure or simply give you a new one FREE. I've gotten 2 free tires simply because I spent 32 extra dollars.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but Wal-Mart has some pretty good deals when it comes to automotive warranties.

The thing I like, and I agree on the tires too, I usually get them there, is that so far I have yet to have them give me any problems with warranty stuff. Unlike some places that make you jump through hoops and various other tricks and sign over a body part or two to be lopped off to get any warranty satisfaction.

Speaking of warranties, I can highly recommend CompUSAs extended warranty on laptops. My partner Graham had it on his old laptop and they just took it in to fix the screen....completely refurbished it complete with new fans, a new motherboard, new screen and a brand new battery!

What's the actual brand on those batteries David? Are they simply branded "Walmart" batteries? Just curious if you're referencing the Optima line that Walmart also carries.

I'm going to guess they are referring to the EverStart batteries that Wal-Mart sells. I bought one several years ago for my first car, because I wanted something cheap and fast. Turned out to be a really good battery, so I started using them as replacements in my other vehicles, and have not had any problems.

David....just an FYI.

You are not suppose to mix batteries like you did. ;)

One of my other hobbies is alternative energy and that's a big no-no in the solar PV area.

If you are going to run a dual battery system they should be the exact same size and manufactor date if at all possible.

And the guy was right...which is amazing in itself...the older battery was killing your new one. I had that happen to me on my PV install at my house when I ignored the advice above.

Originally posted by Tyler Allison
David....just an FYI.

One of my other hobbies is alternative energy and that's a big no-no in the solar PV area.

If you are going to run a dual battery system they should be the exact same size and manufactor date if at all possible.

And the guy was right...which is amazing in itself...the older battery was killing your new one. I had that happen to me on my PV install at my house when I ignored the advice above.

I knew that, but it was what I had at the time. Building a chase vehicle was expensive and I didn't have the extra to go and buy new batteries. Also, they were separated by the isolator. They guy at Walmart didn't know that though. They could have just as well been in separate cars.

Yeah, I am sorry I didn't get to go. The need to finish prior work lined up and replace some chase equipment overrode my desire to go.

Originally posted by Tyler Allison
David....just an FYI.

That's not exactly correct in every case, especially in this application. You're speaking of battery arrays such as those used in PV setups or any scenario involving batteries directly chained together.

I have a dual battery setup separated by an isolator: there's no need to do an exact match between the batteries. The isolator manufacturer did specify that the aux. starter battery in my particular application setup needed to provide at least as much starting current as the primary though.

Originally posted by John B Erwin+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John B Erwin)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tyler Allison
David....just an FYI.

That's not exactly correct in every case[/b]

Nothing is exactly correct in every case. But I would agree..if you have the two batteries isolated it's not an issue. But if the batteries can physically charge or discharge each other then you best bet is an identical setup.

Back