VX2100 out of production

Dan Robinson

Just read an article posted on DVInfo.net that Sony has stopped production on the VX2100. It was phased out to be replaced by the HDR-FX1 high-definition camera. The FX1 of course is HD, but is not on par with the VX2100 in low light.

If you've been intending to buy a VX2100 or have been on the fence, time is running out! There are no other cameras on the market in this price range that have better low-light performance. It is one of the best storm chasing video cameras there is.

Dan, thanks for the info. I've been considering buying the VX-2100 since when my TRV-900 dies, there is no other decent replacement camcorder. I would like to go to HD but the low light capability is just not there yet. Maybe in a few years and my 900 proabably won't last that long.

Hopefully, there will be some deals on the VX-2100 once it is discontinued. It is still listed on Sony.com/ There is also a new lower priced Sony HD camcorder that will be released in the next few days but it is listed as 7 LUX.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....e=feature&var2=

Bill Hark

That sucks! ive been wanting one since i first saw one and how well they did in low light. There is just no way I can afford one right now even if I had the $2k+ they cost. Too many other expenses right now.

I guess I'll have to try and get aused one in good shape further down the line.

How about the PD170? I think it's PAL only though. Is that a problem? doug has a PD150 I think and its really nice but its discontinued as well replaced by the PD170

what about other brands?

Originally posted by Blake Michaleski

How about the PD170? I think it's PAL only though. Is that a problem? doug has a PD150 I think and its really nice but its discontinued as well replaced by the PD170

what about other brands?

Nope, Sony makes the PD170 in NTSC and PAL formats. I own the PD170 and the VX2100. Looks like I'm buying another VX 2100 for my B-Day at the end of this month.

ah ok... just by looking around I was only able to find the pd170 in PAL format. If I ever have several thousand dollars fall into my lap i'll have to buy one I suppose. :lol:

Originally posted by Blake Michaleski
ah ok... just by looking around I was only able to find the pd170 in PAL format. If I ever have several thousand dollars fall into my lap i'll have to buy one I suppose. :lol:

If you get the right editing setup PAL is a 25 frame progressive standard. Which mimics film closely. Thats why people in the states would have interest.

Originally posted by fplowman
Best kept secret is the DVC80 from panasonic

Actually, DVC80 has a LUX of 3 which is worse then the older VX2000 that has a LUX of 2.

The DVC80 is a great camera but for the stuff that we get into with the very low light, its not the greatest camera.

I have also been doing a lot or research into the HD video cameras, looks like for real 1080/60i HD, your going to need to spend some big money. Turns out from what I have been reading, the new Sony HD cameras are do not have a true 1080/60i format which is 1920x1080 but a cropped version of it at 1440x1080 which is a 33 percent reduction in horizontal image acording to an artical I read today.

Also for digital video editing, HD is going to take up a ton of disk space. Where as your standard video AVI DV file 11 Gig per hour. A full raw HD 1920x1080/60i is 410 Gig per hour.

HD, forget everything you knew about video cameras and digital video editing because its a whole new ball game.

And for those of you sitting on the fence for a VX2100, save your money because it looks like your going to need at least 6 times what a VX2100 costs to get into the real high quality HD gear if your looking at trying to sell video. Turns out, some of the HD cameras have to be upconverted to the 1080 format and some production companies wont even touch some HD cameras like the HD10u by Panasonic, which is one of the low budget HD cameras.

Yes it sucks that Sony stopped making the high end VX2100 and looks like the PD170 is on or already is out the door now too but the HD shift will be here before we know it in 2 years.

Originally posted by Doug_Kiesling+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug_Kiesling)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-fplowman
Best kept secret is the DVC80 from panasonic

Actually, DVC80 has a LUX of 3 which is worse then the older VX2000 that has a LUX of 2.

The DVC80 is a great camera but for the stuff that we get into with the very low light, its not the greatest camera.

I have also been doing a lot or research into the HD video cameras, looks like for real 1080/60i HD, your going to need to spend some big money. Turns out from what I have been reading, the new Sony HD cameras are do not have a true 1080/60i format which is 1920x1080 but a cropped version of it at 1440x1080 which is a 33 percent reduction in horizontal image acording to an artical I read today.

Also for digital video editing, HD is going to take up a ton of disk space. Where as your standard video AVI DV file 11 Gig per hour. A full raw HD 1920x1080/60i is 410 Gig per hour.

HD, forget everything you knew about video cameras and digital video editing because its a whole new ball game.

And for those of you sitting on the fence for a VX2100, save your money because it looks like your going to need at least 6 times what a VX2100 costs to get into the real high quality HD gear if your looking at trying to sell video. Turns out, some of the HD cameras have to be upconverted to the 1080 format and some production companies wont even touch some HD cameras like the HD10u by Panasonic, which is one of the low budget HD cameras.

Yes it sucks that Sony stopped making the high end VX2100 and looks like the PD170 is on or already is out the door now too but the HD shift will be here before we know it in 2 years.[/b]

I think some of those LUX ratings take into account gain. the DVC 80 is better than any 1/4 chipper out there.. by far. The Sony is said to have a slight edge though. I think if your into professional video the DVC 80 with XLR sound is a better choice. In my opinion.

I anted up sold my dvc80 which i regret and bought a dvx100a.. which i dont regret. It will serve me well I imagine for years to come. It is said and I have observed personally the pd 170/vx comparison for low light with the DVC/ DVX is superior however ... it did not seem that much better really..

And that 24p footage is sweeet.. Yet to have a low light issue problem (60i).. except in the dark of course..lol

The HD has a whole bunch of issues as you enumerated some of them. Im not reconverting my foolproof editing system to make video more than 80% of america cant benefit from on their home sets anyways.. HD needs another 5 years or so.. compression, formating, etc, etc.... too many issues.

Back