VOTING BOOTH - Vote for Stormtrack's 2011 Q1-Q2 moderators

Who do you choose for Stormtrack moderator? (multiple choice is ok)

• Bart Comstock

Votes: 55 28.5%
  • Danny Neal

Votes: 86 44.6%
  • Scott Hammel

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • Skip Talbot

Votes: 144 74.6%
  • Jesse Risley

Votes: 99 51.3%
  • Brandon Sullivan

Votes: 67 34.7%
  • Mark Blue

Votes: 42 21.8%
  • Charley Kelly

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Robert Edmonds

Votes: 25 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Please vote for Stormtrack moderators (representatives) for January-June 2011. We will take the top 3 or 4 choices.

This poll will run for one week and close on January 10. We'll do multiple choice this time so you can vote for candidates you like. To make the poll fair, results will remain hidden until the poll closes. (EDIT: Sorry, due to the system upgrade and an uncooperate plug-in, we can no longer hide tallies.) Your individual selections will remain confidential.

If any of the candidates would like to post anything, they're welcome to do so. No discussions here please.

Tim -- after I voted, I see "the results are hidden 0%" to the right of each candidate. However, there is a series of bar graphs between the names and the "results". So, while the exact percentages and number of votes appear to be masked, it looks like the results are still being shown in the bar graph(s). Just FYI.

We are currently in the process of switching to the latest version of vBulliten and so there will be a few bugs as we iron things out. Please be patient as the poll will be fixed (no not that way! :p ) asap.

I have disabled a poll plug-in that was clearly causing problems with the upgrade. This may cause the election tallies to be divulged; if that's the case, we'll just leave it going since not much can be done.

EDIT: VBulletin does not natively support hiding poll results, so we're stuck with an open poll for now, and I'm not going to try to re-install that poll mod just yet.

Tim

Meh...that's fine...I voted before reviewing the results anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for setting this up, Tim. It looks like the upgrade to vBulletin 4 came in handy here, allowing voters to select multiple candidates. I noticed that you can select all of the candidates if you wish. Are voters supposed to limit their votes to three or four, or just choose everyone they think would make a good moderator?

I have no problem with the open results (although it should still be a secret ballot). Its nice being able to track the progress, and many elections for public positions are done in a matter that allows you to track their progress before all the votes are in.

Good luck to everyone running.

I like the open results to an extent, but wouldn't be upset if the next election was closed. It was a nice turn of the year for StormTrack. I really like the move to vBulletin 4. Definitely modernized. I am reading up on all the new features for vB.4 so hopefully it will be a smooth transition.

As for the race... It looks like it will go down to the wire.... Good luck to everyone running, hopefully I can continue my modest lead for 3rd! If someone else comes in and boots me.... no hard feelings I have no doubts they will do a great job!

Sweet! I've got votes that weren't cast by me! Hahaha, in all seriousness congrats to whomever it is that wins. The moderator team for this site has always been strong and will continue to be because all of the names up there are top notch.

I'm pretty happy to see some of the candidates using social media to solicit votes. This shows they are excited about the opportunity to run this board and will likely be great staff members.

I voted for those who actually participate in the forum on a regular basis, and I encourage others to do so as well. IMO those individuals actually care about the board and aren't simply running just to have a title or the power to stick their nose in the behind the scenes business when they otherwise can't be bothered to participate in the boards discussions.

In spite of what I might have said this morning in the logo thread, I really do not have a problem with people using social media to campaign for the moderator positions. No matter how you distill it, this is an election by popularity, and we have no way of legislating what strategy people might use to shore up their constituency. What I would like to see is people thinking carefully about their choices and casting their votes accordingly.

In any case, we have appointed ("senator") positions which balance out whatever qualities, good or bad, that popularly elected individuals might bring to the table.

If we're talking about people buying Stormtrack accounts and using those to cast votes, that might be grounds for disciplinary action, and we'll probably end up doing some audits to make sure that kind of thing isn't going on, but really I can't imagine anyone stooping that low to take on added work and responsibility just for a small measure of power in the community. Hopefully people are seeking the position because they want to make a positive contribution and ensure the site continues on the right path.

Tim

*Bump* It was kind of getting buried (6 or so down). Usually ST averages anywhere between 170-200 votes so we still have a number out there waiting (140)

Lots of great names in the list, I voted and know that the best candidates will reflected by the results. Good luck to all!

Good to see we got 19 more votes since Danny's bump

I know in the skywarnonline/forum's (also a Vbulletin...although not on this new version) photo contests, a min. of 10 posts are required to vote. I don't know if there is a automated way of working that, or it's done manually, but it is a thought for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize if my last post was out of line, I meant nothing by it, just thought it was a funny pun. I would also question the merit in putting a posting limit on the ability to vote. I am a lurker but it is not because I do not appreciate these forums. I am a lurker because my experience and knowledge is limited and needs expanding before I can contribute in a more positive way.

I would also concur that there are a lot of good people up there.

Back