Violent Waterspout?

I noticed that this morning too. Not sure if they had confirmed confirmation the waterspout was "violent" or if they just included the wording due to the nature of a tropical system being responsible.

This probably goes back to something I've heard Doswell discuss (I'm sure he's got in on his website somewhere, if I felt motivated enough to look for it.) A tornado over water is a tornado over water, not a waterspout. True waterspouts are more akin to dust-devils than tornadoes. (Doswell -- IMO Skywarn Advanced Spotter Seminar, March 2003). I would argue that the report is more accurately of a violent tornado which happens to be located over the water as opposed to a waterspout.

$0.02,
Ben

This probably goes back to something I've heard Doswell discuss (I'm sure he's got in on his website somewhere, if I felt motivated enough to look for it.) A tornado over water is a tornado over water, not a waterspout. True waterspouts are more akin to dust-devils than tornadoes. (Doswell -- IMO Skywarn Advanced Spotter Seminar, March 2003). I would argue that the report is more accurately of a violent tornado which happens to be located over the water as opposed to a waterspout.
$0.02,
Ben

Well even doppler radar cant tell if a Tornado is "violent" maybe they were using the term because it was a actual tornado and not your run of the mill waterspout

Well even doppler radar cant tell if a Tornado is "violent" maybe they were using the term because it was a actual tornado and not your run of the mill waterspout
Thats what I was saying...
I would argue that the report is more accurately of a violent tornado which happens to be located over the water as opposed to a waterspout.
The word "waterspout" should not, IMO, have been involved in the first place.

Ben

FYI: the storm did appear to be a supercell on the Key West (BYX) radar.

I agree with the "tornado over water" vs "waterspout" in this case. Aren't special marine warnings issued for cases where true waterspouts are being reported?

you would think with all the lakes here in Minnesota, we would see more water spouts....but i guess out of the few twisters that we do get per year....it doesnt happen :cry:

Back