Video 8/Hi8

Thomas Loades

Does anyone know the difference beteween these two? My "new" camcorder is Video 8 — I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Difference is in the Quality

I looked this up in my owners manual for my SHARP Viewcam VL-AD260U. It uses HI8 video film format. Here's the details:

The HI8 is a high performance extension of the ordinary 8 mm format. It uses advanced technology to achieve higher resolution and better picture quality. If you have older video equipment that uses regular 8MM format, you are ok. However, if you use a camera that has HI8 capability, your older video equipment will NOT be able to play tapes recorded in the HI8 format.

It will all depend on how much quality and how much money you have to invest in your video equipment. Thanks for asking.

4884b52696a4bf0fe7013e271aa8785f.gif

Thanks for clearing that up. Don't like the sound of the lower quality part, but then I suppose I can't expect too much from a camera that turned out to be from 1995. :?

Video 8 i believe would of course be non digital.. whoaaaa no thanks..
digital 8.. digital :D with Digital we have firewire.. we can transport the video into our computers wherein we can use software to edit it.. otherwise you can buy some old antiquated equipment on ebay and learn the old art of editing.. AB roll.. etc..

What? 8-tracks are cool . . . But, yeah, while I'm getting antiquated equipment — and isn't Beta really high-quality if you're taping on it? I think some TV crews still use it, or something.

On the other hand, I could just skip that and go straight to a Super-8 camera. :lol: Unique combination of nature photography and avant-garde art.

Formats are always changing.. yes Beta is still used.. but the only reason why in my deduction is they spent 10k + on the camera and dont wanna throw it in the trash...lol They have digital Beta now Digital is the only way to go if you want to keep up with technology..

Back