Verizon warns high data users

It should be in the very near future Nathan as you only get until August 31st to switch plans before termination. Now 500 GB is being thrown around as the target number for using too much. That would clear @Hannah.Taylor of any wrongdoing and limit the population affected by this even further. From what I understand, you must be out of contract to even be targeted, so any account change that puts you back on contract kind of takes the heat off of yourself.

any source for that claim?

I dont think I ever went over 160 GB in any given month.

500 GB is a LOT of data. Thats like downloading movies, apps, games at a rediculous rate. At that point it is probably safe to say that some or most of those with such high data rates are downloading pirated software and music.

but if 500 GB is the threshold for being kicked off your unlimited plan, then I'm definitely in the clear. [emoji51]

but I haven't been under contract since March 2014.

From the private member forum at RVMobileInternet.com, but the source of the report is publicly available here. I haven't seen a different number yet for a few days and am hoping it doesn't turn into a moving target. As things unfold I'm sure other people will be identified and targeted, but at the end of the day I hope you're spared from their wrath. :)

well I should be good.. 1 line I average 52gig and the other my buddy uses to chase and he is in the 30s.. So "fingers crossed" most of us survive another year?!

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if VZW starts high and works their way down the list until the powers that be are satisfied. Where they end up is anyone's guess, so if I had a OOC UDP with historically high usage I wouldn't be very comfy in the next couple of months.

I personally am all for this. As a person who had an unlimited plan but didn't use data much, it made sense for me to switch to a non unlimited plan a few years back and get unlimited talk & text and save good money each month with just a 10GB plan. It turned out almost a wash for me, but I have gone over 10GB a couple times on chase months. Rollover had me excited, but their rollover is a joke as Mark mentioned.

With that said, get the data hogs off the network. As more and more apps use more and more data for every user out there, I have noticed a significant decrease in speed since LTE was rolled out here in 2011 and I got my first 4G LTE phone in early 2012. The speeds are still OK, but not nearly as fast as they once were.

My advice would be to keep using your grandfathered account unlimited allowance as long as you can. I expect at some point Verizon will summarily cancel your contract at some point. Me, I'd be focused on the years of unlimited data I'd had above and beyond than concern over breach of contract. It might be an interesting fight but not necessarily one with an outcome where you win.

the thing is I am not under contract. I'd think if there wasnt some sort of legality keeping them from doing it, they'd have already cancelled everyone from it and forced them into a different plan or bumped them to the next plan down.

Back