Verizon providing data for iPad - MiFi

Darrin Rasberry

For those interested in getting a unit that runs RadarScope without having to put up with the bullcrap that is AT&T's reception, your ship has finally arrived.

Verizon has been offering the iPad in conjunction with its MiFi mobile hotspot unit in a bundle for the same cost as the single iPad unit with internal AT&T capability since the end of October. The MiFi unit will broadcast a signal anywhere that Verizon's 3G (or even 1x) network is available. In short, if your Verizon phone gets reception, so does the MiFi card.

Not only does the MiFi unit provide connection for the iPad, it also opens the possibility for others chasing with you to connect to a network without having to tether. The costs range from a $20 a month 1-gig package on up (I believe 3 gigs is $35 and 10 gigs is $80). Data plans run month-to-month, not on contract, so you don't have to pay for the MiFi during the off-season.

Unfortunately, those who already have an iPad will have to purchase the MiFi unit separately. I believe the cost is ~$300, but check with your local Verizon store.

Ipad can run Safari in full, so accessing 1km satellite loops and the Mesoanalysis page will be no problem with this extremely portable unit. No more laptop taking up too much space in the car!

Keep in mind the iPad 2 is rumored to both arrive at the footsteps of next year's storm season and to come equipped with a chip that is able to receive the Verizon network - but, of course, those are ultimately still both rumors, as is the whole iPhone on Verizon ordeal, so I will more than likely be purchasing an iPad unit with this bundle.

I thought I would make other chasers aware of this opportunity as well.

I have been very VERY tempted by the ipad lately and verizon is not helping. The sticking point for me is I already have a 3G netbook (verizon) I barely use. But the verizon package is pay as you go. I have even thought ipod touch + mifi but keep thinking Ipad. The other problem I have is, I had an ipod once and have a lot of stuff I got through itunes and its stuck on my desk top

I would have a hard time using it in chase mode because I find DeLorme Street Atlas way too useful (and still the best chase Nav. IMO). But...I see more and more reasons to have the iPad for work productivity and chase uses while NOT in chase mode (like awaiting initiation).

None of the iPads have a camera still, right?

Rumors floating around also about the next version's of iPad are they they will have 2 camera's one for pics and one for face time. I am holding out for that, that is if i do end up getting one. Again just rumors.

Also, the iPad has no way to plug a camera in for those of us who stream. Also, the second generation iPads will be coming in early 2011 with built in 3G (possibly 4G) compatibility for both CDMA and GSM. So basically, soon you will be able to buy one for Verizon without the need to have the MiFi. Likewise, you could buy one from Sprint, ATT, T-mob, etc...So those thinking of buying one right now, might consider waiting for a few extra months.

Also, the iPad has no way to plug a camera in for those of us who stream. Also, the second generation iPads will be coming in early 2011 with built in 3G (possibly 4G) compatibility for both CDMA and GSM. So basically, soon you will be able to buy one for Verizon without the need to have the MiFi. Likewise, you could buy one from Sprint, ATT, T-mob, etc...So those thinking of buying one right now, might consider waiting for a few extra months.

I keep forgetting about streaming, since I don't do it myself.

Waiting may be a good idea, but keep in mind that these things are just rumors, and Apple is the king of rumors that don't come true.

Even though I'd have to carry a mifi card around (which isn't terrible considering it's the size of a credit card), it would allow my chase partner to use his laptop for streaming purposes without having to tether or chuck up dough for a wireless card.

Right now I'm on-line with direct Ethernet connect through my Cradlepoint router and Verizon aircard, and am also on-line with an IPad sharing the connection via wi-fi. Works just fine.

I haven't investigated this personally, but a friend of mine that works at a Verizon store said the MiFi in the Verizon-capable iPad is like $50/month and a contract is required. This was discouraging news. I guess you can link 4 devices up to the MiFi and the cap is larger on the data, but that month-to-month feature would be a deal breaker to me.

I still don't see an advantage of using an iPad vs. a small laptop, especially those with a tablet design and touch screen software. A small laptop can do so much more, e.g., run Java, so higher grade radar apps like Weather Tap can be used. (iPad does not run Java or Flash). My iPhone can access the Internet just like an iPad, and even better since I can use a 5w signal booster with the iPhone.

The best thing about the Verizon iPad is that is gives Apple competition so the buffering of data speeds (as some found out last season) might stop.

W.

iPads offer a lot that a small laptop won't. Screen control is a major safety improvement when driving. RadarScope is excellent, and the multi-tasking offered with this week's OS4.2.1 release offers a lot of potential.

Kevin - your friend is not correct. The MiFi on it's own requires a contract, but the MiFi / iPad combo is month-to-month.

"What they probably don’t want you thinking about is the long term cost of their plans. Monthly plans range from $20 to $80 for 1 to 10 GB of data. For $5 more than the 1GB plan on Verizion you can get 2GB on AT&T. So, if you thought this was going to be way cheaper than going with AT&T, you’re likely to be dissappointed. The month to month price of AT&T is cheaper in some cases than Verizon, plus your iPad will have GPS built in and you’ll only have to charge one device. Then again, you can’t share your 3G connection from AT&T, but you can with Verizon. Only you can compare the value on your hatred of AT&T and sharing your internet connection and the Verizon network to the value of convenience and a possibly cheaper bill from AT&T."

http://www.appletell.com/apple/comm...-and-mifi-3g-router-combo-with-breakaway-com/

I still don't see an advantage of using an iPad vs. a small laptop, especially those with a tablet design and touch screen software. A small laptop can do so much more, e.g., run Java, so higher grade radar apps like Weather Tap can be used. (iPad does not run Java or Flash).

That's your opinion of course. There's nothing weather wise I cant do on an iPad with similar quality. Include the form factor and portability and in _my_ opinion it trumps a PC. To claim WxTap is a "higher grade" radar app is simply not true. If anything, RadarScope is the high grade. But again..it's always an opinion.

My iPhone can access the Internet just like an iPad, and even better since I can use a 5w signal booster with the iPhone.

And why wouldn't the MiFi work with my booster?

I'll be chasing with a Verizon iPad exclusively this year. My micro laptop is staying home. It sucked as a radar tool last year.

ps. The iPad + MiFi offer is month to month, no contract, upgrade/downgrade bandwidth cap whenever

I agree with Tyler, a HUGE draw for me to the iPad is the month to month 3G internet. Plus it is extremely portable and versatile. I ditched my data card because I was tired of having poor service at home, it failed me on the road a lot last season...like every critical chase I was on (Sprint), and I wasn't a fan of having a cap. I would gladly pay a decent sum of money per month for a couple of months just to not have a contract.

Kevin - your friend is not correct. The MiFi on it's own requires a contract, but the MiFi / iPad combo is month-to-month.

Correct. However, if you are already on a Mifi contract then you are stuck on the higher pricing, and locked in contract. If you make the bundle purchase however, you will get the cheaper pricing and no contract, but bear in mind, each time you turn the device off, and plan to reactivate another month, you will get hit with a 35$ activation fee.

Our iPads our the Wifi only, which means no GPS.. Thats a deal breaker for me..

Back