Venus Transit: June 5th, 2012 - 5 pm - 8 pm

Drew.Gardonia

On June 5th, 2012, the planet Venus will transit between the sun and the Earth. To the casual observer, it will appear as a tiny black ball against the Sun's surface. The transit will take place between 5 pm and 8 pm central time.

Venus Transit 2012: An Observer's Guide (Infographic) | Space.com

I've been invited by the Middle Tennessee State University Astronomy Club to bring my Canon 7D to the Observatory on campus and they will provide adapters to connect my camera with their telescope to get pictures of this lifetime event.

The next Venus transit is not going to happen again until 2117.

I can't wait to see the kinds of images this will produce, should be incredibly awesome.

I just hope we have clear skies and good weather for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a joy to watch these 'limited' events unfold live.

If you own a telescope of any size you can really get in on the action regardless of solar filters, I managed to capture the first one with a cheap-o telescope and an even cheaper digital camera (my first) back in 2004. 12 days after my first tornado... good times!

CAUTION: The warped edge of the projection is the plastic warping from intense solar heating, bigger more professional telescopes are often made of metal and more resilient to these issues. I recall lighting a friends cigarette with this telescope using nothing but the sun... that telescope has been to hell and back!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View from my kitchen, through the window (90°+ outside) using Canon 40D with 70-200L and no. 8 welding glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
just let me know what I win :D Canon 7D attached to a Meade LX90 EMC telescope

i-GhmjN7v-XL.jpg

i-4jLbLcM-XL.jpg

9x magnification. not real bright, tried adding ISO but it didn't work, just made things darker. lots of vibration too from people walking on the grass around the telescope.
i-27zKTnJ-XL.jpg

i-c5PnCbR-XL.jpg

i-pmgrjBF-XL.jpg

this image is the result of the sun dipping into the top of the tree line, and the leaves were blowing a bit in the wind, and created this effect.
i-snX5q2k-XL.jpg

Back