Val and Amy Castor hydroplane and overturn - they are okay

John Farley

Supporter
Storm chasers Val and Amy Castor, with channel 9 in OKC, hydroplaned on I-40 last night and overturned. No serious injuries, but a reminder that this is one of the genuine hazards of chasing at night. I will say some amazing footage came out of the Yukon-El Reno area last night, but there are definite risks of night chasing. I once hydroplaned badly just trying to get home from a chase which I ended at sunset, but the storms and floods did not. Luckily, I did not overturn or go in the ditch, but I never saw the water over the road in the darkness until I hit it. Be careful out there!

It's a good reminder to tone down the speed when on wet roads, and to not cheap out on tires. I don't know what they run tire wise, so I won't speculate there, but I've known plenty of chasers that just opt for the cheaper tire (after spending tons of money on computers, lights, and cameras and the like), and I'm sure more than one has been bit by that.

Glad they are doing ok. Although it doesn't sound like tires were a factor in their case so much, it really does come down to speed and TIRES TIRES TIRES! I recently got a new chase vehicle, had the factory tires on it of course. I hydroplaned twice in it since I got it in December and had to get some better tires. Those factory ones were just crap! I've got some Falken Wildpeaks now that grip great wet and dry!

Glad they’re alright. Watching the video is always deceiving, but I didn’t get the immediate concern they were traveling too fast. Certainly a good reminder how quick those events happen and like Drew and David said, tires! I heard early in life, spend good money on things between you and the ground - tires, shoes, bed. Great advice! 😁

I saw his post on FB yesterday. He said he was driving a backup chase vehicle ('03 Excursion) and wasn't convinced it was hydroplaning. Earlier in the day he ran over a tree that was down and thought it might have jarred something loose in the rear axle, causing it to fishtail.

Either way glad they're both ok and luckily only a few scratches from a roll over accident.

Some of the most stressful driving for me usually is on the way home driving through an MCS, especially in construction zones between concrete barriers. Add in a semi in front of you pushing up even more water and one behind you as well and it can be white knuckle time.

Was going to say, they usually drive quite a big, tricked out truck don't they? Given he flies along wet dirt roads, surprising this caught him out but having been there myself (thankfully without the end accident), it happens fast!

I read on X where they almost ran a van of college kids off the road Saturday. Some of this media extreme chasing has got to be called out before they kill someone. Val/Amy aren't the only ones. A KFOR truck nearly T-boned my brother back on 5/6 simply trying to go home and was well out of his DMA. I almost witnessed a T-bone following the Claremore tornado by a media chaser myself but I couldn't identify him because it all happened so fast.

I am seeing this a lot more too, by veteran and rookies alike. If I get the chance, I will post a legible pic of their license plate. I don't know if it will stop even after another fatality. BTW, I chase incognito, so most chasers out there don't know who I am.

I’m not condoning overly aggressive driving, but there is a flip side to this issue in the many slow-driving chasers going 10-15mph under when fast-moving tornadoes/mesos/supercells are approaching the road or moving away rapidly. Several times I had to make difficult passes of rows of 5-7 vehicles (legally) not just because of the first car in line going slow, but because the cars following would not pass when they had easy opportunities to. This probably contributes to the more aggressive chasers feeling justified to make those more dangerous maneuvers. I’m of course not saying do 90 in the rain or pass on double yellows, but if there are a dozen cars behind and no one ahead, it’s a sign one might be going too slow for the situation.

I’m not condoning overly aggressive driving, but there is a flip side to this issue in the many slow-driving chasers going 10-15mph under when fast-moving tornadoes/mesos/supercells are approaching the road or moving away rapidly. Several times I had to make difficult passes of rows of 5-7 vehicles (legally) not just because of the first car in line going slow, but because the cars following would not pass when they had easy opportunities to. This probably contributes to the more aggressive chasers feeling justified to make those more dangerous maneuvers. I’m of course not saying do 90 in the rain or pass on double yellows, but if there are a dozen cars behind and no one ahead, it’s a sign one might be going too slow for the situation.

Actually, in some states you are required to pull over and let people pass if you have more than five vehicles backed up behind you. Sadly, one of the least enforced traffic laws.

Ah, yes... the verboten flip side of the coin that's unspeakable on social media. I've seen at least a couple semi-viral videos this season posted by chasers who were appalled at being passed on double yellow. To be clear, no one should do that. But what struck me, particularly in the more recent video from this past weekend, was that the offending vehicles were passing the filmer like they were standing still... and more than one offending was vehicle able to do that within the 10-second clip. Is it possible, just maybe, that this suggests the person gleefully filming their viral clip was obstructing traffic unreasonably -- at the very least, uncourteously?

It's long been apparent to me that the chasing community is no different than the general population when it comes to a sizable subset being oblivious, selfish nuisances on the road... and I'm talking about the opposite end of the spectrum as the media assholes flipping trucks in 3"/hour rain rates and running people off the road (which, needless to say, is its own huge problem). Intuitively, it makes no sense that any of us would travel hundreds of miles and spend untold dollars to see fleeting moments of nature, only to drive below the speed limit in urgent situations (high-end torrential rain with major hydroplaning potential and other imminent hazards like tornado debris in the road excepted, of course) while ruining the chases of dozens of our fellow hobbyists. But somehow, that exact behavior is prevalent... and, let's be honest, that contingent contributes overwhelmingly to the formation of "conga lines." And, much like with the general public on crowded highways, these nuisance drivers doing their nuisance thing are often the first domino in a sequence of building frustration and impatience that leads to more dangerous incidents minutes later.

I guess at the end of the day, it's the attitude of the chasers doing 53 in a 65 as a dozen chasers back up behind them in a time-sensitive scenario that I can't grasp. Based on social media, some of them clearly are fully aware of what they're doing... and their Karen-esque reaction is to pull out the camera and start tagging the highway patrol when bad reactive behavior ensues. Personally, when I become aware there's a chaser behind me clearly wanting to go faster than I am, I usually: 1) try to make extra sure I'm paying attention and going as fast as I'm comfortable with in the conditions in the immediate term, and then 2) go out of my way to make it easy for them to pass (even slowing down slightly and waving them around) as soon as an obvious passing opportunity appears. Sometimes, I'll even pull over just to let them go by, especially if there's literally no one in front of me for a ways. I mean, getting them off my ass is good for both of us, right? Obviously, I'm not talking about a situation where I'm already in a conga line and it's hopelessly backed up ahead of me. But somewhere, at the front of that line, there's probably somebody who's either distracted or just isn't comfortable driving around storms. That person's ego simply not allowing them to accept that they should just pull over, or do whatever they can to stop obstructing everybody behind them (even if, yes, some of those people may want to speed), is something I'm not sure I'll ever quite understand.

I read on X where they almost ran a van of college kids off the road Saturday. Some of this media extreme chasing has got to be called out before they kill someone. Val/Amy aren't the only ones. A KFOR truck nearly T-boned my brother back on 5/6 simply trying to go home and was well out of his DMA. I almost witnessed a T-bone following the Claremore tornado by a media chaser myself but I couldn't identify him because it all happened so fast.

I saw that as well on X. The sad part was the people defending Val/Amy by saying that the group from Ball State (which was the van nearly run off the road) shouldn't have been out there. Saw one tweet in particular "The road rage is a bit much, I agree....but when lives are on the line..." :rolleyes: They finished with "I get needing to learn, but tornado alley isn't the place to learn." I found the last part particularly ironic, considering the criticism that myself and other now experienced chasers got for chasing in Dixie (or really anywhere else other than the plains) when we started out. Speaking for myself, I was never able to get the time off to chase in May and June when I lived in Kentucky and Tennessee, and I wasn't going to just sit at the house till the opportunity materialized out of thin air. The whole "hope in one hand..." saying.

My memory isn't that great, but I don't recall ever seeing or passing a real chaser who was going too slow. Maybe the lead car who is slow, is just Joe sixpack, as it were.:rolleyes:

unspeakable on social media.
Lots of virtue signaling that goes on these days.

Similar sentiment to your comment in another thread about "NO WORDS" (1: "no words" is 2 words, and 2: usually followed by tons of words). It's as trite as a media story saying a tornado hit without warning :rolleyes:

A huge fraction of this is driven by social media.

Back