USB GPS with Google Maps on PC?

Hey friends! Apologies if this has been covered. Has anyone figured out how to use an USB GPS with Google Maps on a PC? I have been stuck using Streets and Trips but they havent updated it since 2013!

Anyone got this figured out?

As far as I can tell, Google does not support GPS inputs on Windows or MacOS; only on a mobile device (iOS or Android). I'm not sure how well it does, but windows maps with the GlobalSat BU-353-W10 puck may be your best bet, if you absolutely have to use a Windows program. The 353-S4 puck will not work with that program. Another option would be a placefile for GRL3 (either of the two GPS pucks I mentioned will work with GRL3), but you'll be at the mercy of how often that placefile is updated. I personally use a standalone device that's regularly updated, with my tablet as a backup. I'm not a huge fan of clutter on my radar screen, so I keep it relatively clean other than major highways and county lines.

Drew,

Hey thanks! I use GR3 with shapefiles for roads. I have downloaded google offline maps for my phone but wanted to also do that if possible for my laptop. Its a challenge navigating Google Maps on just a phone while chasing!

It seems like we used to have it working really well (circa 2010) but now it’s going backwards. I wished it was getting better with time, but after Garmin bought DeLorme it started going downhill and I don’t see it recovering anytime soon.

I did do a quick search ... nothing comprehensive, but, Google Earth does have GPS support. That seems like the way to go, if you want to stay with Google's mapping capabilities. I have not researched how much work this would be or how well it works.

I wonder what the bandwidth requirements are for Google Earth on a poor cellular connection? I should fiddle around with it this year and see what works and what doesn't. I think regular Google Maps would be the way to go but who knows at this point! Or possibly Windows Maps with the Globalsat W10 GPS receiver? Lots of unanswered questions.

Mark,

My purpose is to get routing and road networks in areas where you cant get a signal. I wasnt aware that google earth has GPS support, but does it give you a road network?

There is one way I know of to overlay that and radar data with no cell service, and that's Baron Mobile Threat Net. Once you get MTN installed, the box turned on, and the service started, you just contact Baron and they get you a GPS and mapping upgrade, and that will give you all your streets and such, with a GPS beacon, as well as radar data, all delivered by satellite.

I use a combination Baron Mobile ThreatNet (love it, never crashes, works everywhere), GrLv3 and StreetAtlas 2011 and supplement with Google Maps on my Samsung Phone and Google Maps. I still have a Windows 7 laptop which I managed to preserve even after they did that darn forced update to Windows 10 years ago which affected many people. My laptop is 9 years old, taken many a beating (dust, falling out of the car) and still working.

Bill Hark

Any updates on this.

But first, dvice: if you are using Google Maps, download the maps for wherever you might be, at a place with good WiFi. Then it will work without any cellular signal. However, I don't think you can do that except using the Google Maps app on a mobile device. And, the user interface to do it is clunky - you can only do it a bit at a time, an area defined by a rectangle whose maximum size seems to be about 150mi by 75mi. You can download multiple of these, but doing it so you are sure they will overlap is tricky. And, you have to do them one at a time. Plus they expire after a period of time (don't remember how long).

Anyway...

Street Atlas is getting long in tooth.

Plus, I'd prefer to use something on the MacBook native, rather than having to run Windoze in.a Virtual Machine.

That said, in the past, I used a USB connected GPS to a MacBook, Windows in a VMWare Virtual Machine on the map, GpsGate (to send GPS data to multiple apps), Delorme and GR3 (and in the past Mobile ThreatNet which I'm not going to use this year - too much cost, flaky software (okay, some years ago), would have to buy new hardware.

Now I notice my GpsGate doesn't start any more - probably have to buy a new one (GpsGate Splitter - $40) if I'm gonna be using Windoze.

I've been messing around with MacOS Apple Maps, and Google Maps on MacOS. No joy - won't get data from GPS. Google Earth will, but Google Earth is not that critical, compared to something with Street Maps sort of functionality (and excellent display colors).

Back