Typical Supercell vs Mothership Supercell

Same storm Nick was reffering to
510_12.JPG

510_1.JPG

Though the striations are lacking, I love this J R Hehnly pic of the Mulvane storm:

20040612_192700_ps_std.jpg

Bob

Although I was too close to the tornadic portion of the Mulvane storm to discern much structure, the western portion of the cell was nicely striated. From what I've seen from others on this storm though, I wouldn't consider it necessarily to be a mothership in my subjective opinion.

The Mulvane storm from my vantage point:
mulvanestructurefiretruck.jpg

Jason

Hi Jaso - I'm following you around the board! Ooops! I left out the "N" :wink:

A "mothership" supercell is an entirely subjective description dependant on the viewer. There have been a few storms in the past that could only have been described like this (the Briscoe/Hall Co. TX storm of May 29th 2001 comes to mind) - but mostly it is subjective.

As far as purely ridiculous structure, though, not much I have personally seen beats the May 12th 2004 in Harper County KS:

May12th0421.jpg

KR

As far as purely ridiculous structure, though, not much I have personally seen beats the May 12th 2004 in Harper County KS:

KR

That storm did indeed have awesome structure. The northern Kansas supercell on 6-10-04 also had very classic structure, particularly during it's LP stage before it transitioned to more classic near sunset (and before producing a tornado near Red Cloud, NE).

I agree, June 12th, 2004 (Harper County, KS) supercell had amazing structure!!!!
It just doesn't get much better than that.

5.29.04.collage.small.version.jpg

But this is close, May 29th, 2004 West of Greenfield, OK

Simon

Back