TWC 'Enhancements'

Not wanting to puncture a well-perforated horse here, but I was a bit disgusted over the weekend to see that TWC has begun to process tornado footage in Storm Stories with some form of computer animation. After the excellent discussions here of scientific, artistic and journalistic ethics in photo/video captures and publishing, it is sad to see TWC cheapening otherwise good video with artificial striations and swirls.

Is there a way for someone submitting imagery to such an outlet (for pay) to protect the integrity of the work, or does TWC receive complicit authorization that allows, besides speed changes and overlays with other images, distortion of the work in this fashion?

If this is not new and previously discussed, please delete this post, mods. Thanks.

Is there a way for someone submitting imagery to such an outlet (for pay) to protect the integrity of the work, or does TWC receive complicit authorization that allows, besides speed changes and overlays with other images, distortion of the work in this fashion?

Yes, it is called a license for documentary or theatrical rights.
But then again since a lot of people are tripping over themselves to practicly give their footage away for 15 seconds of fame or their name on the screen, No, tornado footage is really not worth that much these days and just about every news outlet knows that if you won't bend over for them, they will just wait about 30 minutes for someone else to call them saying they have footage of a tornado.

Before someone says "YOU RUN BNVN..." My or I should say ALL of our competition in video sales is not each other these days. The competition for video sales is with the General Public and the latest generations of Cell Phone Video.

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/v...tion=videocoll18&from=vid_brws2&tab=3&nav=129

Or the resident that has seen TWC or National Geographic and says the next time he hears about a tornado, he will grab his video camera.

http://www.stormstock.com/Woodward, IA Tornado, StormStock JN20051112.wmv

With the number of people out shooting tornado video who are not chasers, most of the footage is pretty much given away these days and you can't compete with a local looking for his 15 minutes of fame at a dirt cheap price.

Thank you, Doug.

I am aware of the frequent and cheap availability of storm footage, and don't doubt that it is a buyers' market. I would just hope to never see some of the finer video footage shot by members of this board 'improved' in such a tasteless fashion.

Back