TV Meteorologist Gary Shore passes away

I'm passing this unfortunate news along that I got from Rob Satkus. I knew Gary personally even though I had not been in touch with him in the last couple of years. You can do a google search that already has numerous entries concerning his death.

--- rob satkus wrote:

> If you haven't heard already....
>
>
>
>
> Meteorologist Gary Shore Dies
> Former Tulsa meteorologist Gary Shore has died. He
> passed away on Monday in Sioux City, Iowa. He
> served as the chief meteorologist for the market's
> ABC affiliate for the past seven years.
>
> Shore, 55, began his career as a TV meteorologist
> in Wichita, Kansas, in 1977. He also worked in
> Washington, D.C. and Huntsville, AL.
>
> Shore viewed weather forecasting as his life's
> calling. He reportedly began keeping weather
> records when he was just 12 years old. He began his
> study of meteorology at New York University when he
> was 16. He earned a Master of Meteorology Degree
> from Penn State.
>
> Shore is survived by his wife, Ellen, and two sons,
> Michael and David.

This is an upsetting way to start the day. Ironically, just literally a few days ago, I was wondering how he and his family were doing. I did some chasing for KJRH-TV back in the mid to late 80's. We became friends, and one day, Gary invited me and my family to his home. My kids were real young then, Amber was probably no more than two or so and Leif was just an infant. We hung out and I specifically remembered his VERY HEATED pool he had... it was like, around 100F.
Gary joked about how on cold mornings it create its own climate with a plume of steam that would rise above his neighbourhood.

He was also a God fearing man, he became a dedicated Christian back in the early 90's sometime.. Thanks for the info. as sad as it is.

Rocky&family

I gave Gary his first job in Wichita working for KARD (now KSNW) TV. I was absolutely shocked this morning when I received the news.

Gary had two earthly passions: His family and the weather. As a TV meteorologist he saved lives on a number of occasions.

He will be sorely missed.

I would ask anyone so inclined to offer prayers for his wife Ellen and sons Michael and David to help get them through this difficult period.

My prayers will be lifted up to the Lord for his family and friends to find peace and comfort at this time and to see them through the rough times that may lie ahead as they adjust to him not being here.

I watched him fairly often the past 7 years when he has been up in Sioux City working at KCAU... Also met him at the Severe Storms & Radar conference in Des Moines the past couple of years. Nice guy and was always trying to increase his own knowledge and pass along his...

Definitely some sad news to hear.

I grew up in Tulsa watching Gary. I remember he when he went off air sometime in the 90's and I believe he attended a bible school during that time. I had the article up in my room as a kid, he was one of my meteorological inspirations as a youngster. Very, very sad news. My condolences go out to his family.

I remember meeting him during his stint at WAAY in Huntsville. Sad to hear that he's gone at such a young age. Prayers for his family...

IIRC, wasn't Gary's video of a tornado the one that Tom Grazulis listed as the top video by a chaser in the TVC series at one point?

Back