Tropical Hybrid

Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States of Americ
I was just looking at the GFS, and between the hours of 144 to 180 (on the 06Z run), it develops a pretty strong tropical / sub-tropical hybrid storm just off the northeast coast. That would be pretty intersesting to watch - but at 180 hours away, and little accuracy - I have my doubts. :x :(

Actually, if you track the storm back a few days you will see that it is really TD #24 (soon to be Wilma). This soon to be hurricane is forecast by the GFS to slam Fort Myers/Tampa/West coast of Florida as a major hurricane (can you say Frances??). Anyway, this is the storm that moves up the east coast and merges with a weaker disturbance off of the Northeast shoreline. This is the monster storm that you are seeing. Likely to be a huge extra-tropical low by that time.

Originally posted by HAltschule
Actually, if you track the storm back a few days you will see that it is really TD #24 (soon to be Wilma). This soon to be hurricane is forecast by the GFS to slam Fort Myers/Tampa/West coast of Florida as a major hurricane (can you say Frances??). Anyway, this is the storm that moves up the east coast and merges with a weaker disturbance off of the Northeast shoreline. This is the monster storm that you are seeing. Likely to be a huge extra-tropical low by that time.

I noticed... I headed over to the NHC website after posting - I haven't been keeping up to date lately on the tropics :oops:

What would be REAL interesting is that if the shortwave pulled down some of that cold air from Canada. Then once the storms merge, we end up with a rather significant early season Nor'easter. It's a long shot, and you would really need 850MB temperatures AOB -6C this time of year, but I will definitely be watching this.

Back