Trifecta 2024 - Eclipse, Aurora, Tornado?

This year provided an unusual if not rare opportunity to photograph three types of events: The total eclipse of the sun and it's various phases in April, the Aurora Borealis during a couple days in May, and tornadoes during active days this spring in various states.
Dan and Ben mentioned in their epilogues that they photographed all three special events: Trifecta. Gratefully, I had the time & funds to do all those types, too.
Were you able to catch all three types of events? Perhaps you got 2 out of the three of them. If you didn't get all or some, you might have had good reasons.

I got two out of three - the eclipse (in Maine) and one tornado day (Silverton). I should have had at least two other tornado days during my chase trip if I hadn’t screwed up. But I guess I only need to have one tornado to make this particular list! 😏

It was too cloudy to see the aurora in my area (southeast Pennsylvania) and it wasn’t compelling enough to travel for (although it’s on my bucket list to see it in a place like Alaska or Iceland).

I did not photograph the eclipse. I found myself fumbling with my camera to get it in focus, was having trouble, and decided I was wasting too much of a three-minute event and should just enjoy it. I then took one quick iPhone photo, could tell through the screen that it looked nothing like what I was seeing, so now I won’t even look at the photo so that it does not distort the image in my mind from what I actually saw.

I saw the 2017 eclipse also, but no tornado that year, so 2024 is definitely more memorable in this regard.

Last edited:
Got all three. Eclipse in Arkansas, checked off tornadoes during the tornado fest late April in Nebraska/Iowa and caught the Auroras in Wisconsin just by chance.

I got pictures of the eclipse and the aurora. Saw and photographed the eclipse with family at Fort Kaskaskia, IL. Saw and photographed the aurora through an opening in the clouds in Pagosa Springs, CO. As to tornadoes, best I have been able to do so far is a brief glimpse through trees and hills of what was probably the Calumet, OK tornado on April 27 while traveling at high speed and in heavy traffic on I-40. Hence, no pictures.

The eclipse was only a partial one here, it was a nice clear day so I went out looked/took some pic's ... I'm still counting it even though partial, since I did see something.

The aurora... what I saw was a very faint magenta-ish glow in one area of the sky. Camera didn't pick anything up.
Cloudiness cleared up in time that night, but I think the skyglow from city lights to my north/east is simply far too much to ever see anything from home.
I did see *something* so I could sorta count it if I wish.

Have never seen a tornado. If there's ever a storm close enough (and on right day/time) then maybe I will .. or atleast will try to go chase it.

One of three for me with the aurora.

Still a chance to see a tornado up here in MN/WI, but it really hasn't taken off this year. I know southern WI will disagree with me. Morning convection, caps, etc. have been a fly in the ointment. Southern Plains setups seem to pinpoint you to the exact spot to be...lol...at least that's the running joke between myself and another chaser/photographer up here.

Clouds obscured a chance to see a partial eclipse.

Last edited:
2 of 3 for me. Caught the eclipse chasing ( no tornado) off i35 Ok /Kansas border. Several Auroras in U.P. Michigan this year. Missed May chasing. Hope to bag a 'Nado in the high plains yet?!

In looking at this thread, I was reminded that in addition to experiencing 2 of the 3, I’d personally like to add the east coast earthquake in April and claim a 3 out of 4 😜 I know it’s not meteorological or even atmospheric, but still a rare (especially in these parts) and interesting event that I assume many in the ST community would find intriguing!

tor1q.jpg

april824b.jpg

James, a moderate to large earthquake while I'm either sitting or standing on solid ground is one thing I'd like to experience. I actually went to California right after the Ridgecrest earthquake to "chase" the aftershocks. I got a very close M4.5, but I was sitting in my car. I missed it standing outside by about 5 minutes. I've missed quite a few Midwest and east coast quakes by a couple of days.

By the definition of this achievement, I got a solid 1/3 Unifecta (Aurora). It is finally late enough in the season I have fairly high confidence of no tornado. I deliberately passed up many chases where I could have seen a tornado and also the eclipse as I had other priorities for time off and money. I do love a total eclipse but have been fortunate to see one before and can hopefully travel outside the US to see one if I wish. in the near future

I am going to go off the rails a bit here and make my own redefined Trifecta achievement, as tornadoes aren't a requirement or important checkbox for me to see every year and I don't think they are as amazing and rare as events like the Aurora. To me incredible storm structure is as good or better than many grungy tornadoes and seems more rare lately. I did see good structure at least once this year. I also saw huge waves on the pacific, which while isn't a super hard forecast, does require some wave forecast knowledge and regional knowledge to be there and get decent light and shots at a scenic location where big waves are able to happen, so also a fairly rare opportunity. So those two items I am counting in my own special trifecta to wrap up my weather year.

Aurora from northern Wyoming.
441354136_10100693552972288_6519665347087835327_n.jpg

Decent night structure on a Colorado supercell. In cloud lightning was incredible at 1/3 sec intervals at times.
442473950_10100694803810598_526008953531357382_n.jpg

Big Waves in Pacific Northwest reaching a height of about 140 feet (occurs about 3-4 times a year) after a storm.
3 - Relinquish Control.jpg

Back