Training for Radar and Forecasting Question

There’s a wealth a weather data available in GRLevel3/GR2Analyst, GREarth/GRModel, RadarScope, and AllisonHouse. Since I’m not a meteorologist, sometimes I get a little overwhelmed (in a good way) at the riches of data available, but sometimes I also feel like a “dummy” when it comes to getting the most out of the riches of data.

Are there some websites, videos, free online courses I can take that would allow me to bulk up on my training on using weather radar and forecasting weather data so I can better utilize the riches of data out there?

Here are some areas I’m especially weak in:

Radar: NROT, SW, All the Dual-Pol Products, ET, POSH, MEHS, VIL/VILD, DOD, DSD, VWP
GR2Analyst v3 Features: Max Trail Value (I read the manual and I’m still struggling with it), getting the most out of the new User Defined Products feature
GRE: All of the Mesoanalysis data sets (I believe I understand some of them but not near enough, a general course on it would be great), HSR, MEHS, ROT, QPE
GRModel: Most of the models in there (I understand a couple of them, but I wouldn’t know how to utilize most of them, a general course on weather forecast models would be great)
RadarScope: Precip Depiction

Some things I’d like to be able to accomplish:

1. Utilize the best radar products for tracking potential flooding, wind shear, hail, as well as the path of wind shear and hail
2. If there are products I can utilize to track fog conditions, that would be useful
3. Use weather forecast models to track future temperatures, rainfall accumulations, wintry precip accumulations (snow, ice, etc), a general future radar model, and if possible, a future cloud cover model

Thanks!

My understanding of Radarscope's Precip Depiction is that it's an in-house algorithmic product that shows precip type and rate.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to understanding and using all this info. It's taking me a lot longer than expected to wrap my head around all this stuff, but I'm getting there a little at a time. This forum has been a huge help though, so thank you to all the members who take their time to share your knowledge!

Please make sure you start with the basics of radar and then the basics of tornado detection using radar. There is still a great deal to be gained from using hook echoes and "right movers" in the tornado detection process.

Back